CUtch cable problems

Brenden Duso

Jan 13, 2018
So I put a brand new oem clutch cable on about a week ago , I’ve ridden twice and today the clutch cable at the snap of a finger had a bunch of play when literally seconds before it performed like new , I’m assuming it stretched but could it stretch like that all of a sudden ? And why would it only last a week . It stretched so much that it’s unusable , no tension in the cable at all but everything is still hooked up exactly how it was before

id suspect sumthing in the clutch assembly....grab clutch lever at the case with a pair of pliers being careful not to damage...check to see if it moves freely....when u pull in clutch and watch lever at case does it move at all?

id suspect sumthing in the clutch assembly....grab clutch lever at the case with a pair of pliers being careful not to damage...check to see if it moves freely....when u pull in clutch and watch lever at case does it move at all?
Yes clutch is working well , moves well , I put it in gear and rolled to see if it was still working while I held it with pliers and it still works fine , it goes back when I let go of it like it should and moves back and forth without a problem . When I pull cable the slack of the cable just picks up , I tried a bigger tensioner at the clutch perch and it worked so that Must mean it really stecthed , but I can’t figure out why it would stretch so much so quickly , is it a possibility I just got a weak cable ? It’s oem

Weird, I would expect it with a no name eBay one. Do you now have proper adjustment and operation ?? Is cable holder on engine still tight ?
If you have this problem again you might have to dig deeper. Might be clutch or actuator problem.

Weird, I would expect it with a no name eBay one. Do you now have proper adjustment and operation ?? Is cable holder on engine still tight ?
If you have this problem again you might have to dig deeper. Might be clutch or actuator problem.
Came straight from Yamaha , cable holder is still tight and it’s routed properly and adjusted properly , not sure what went wrong , gonna try one more cable and if it has an issue then I will dig deeper

If the cable is still one piece and you can play tug of war with it from end to end then sounds like a clutch push rod/ball issue.