crankcase oil

I've been running automatic transmission type f oil for years.
Really can't go wrong with it.
I'd advise against full syn oil and by all means NEVER put any kind of friction reducers in there.
You need friction for the clutch to grab.
I've used conventional 10w40 and later type f fluid in my dirt bike since day one.
Now 35 years later the gears still look brand new..

Do not run synthetic motor (engine) oil in your gear box or the clutches will slip. And I can not imagine why anyone would want to run 80 wt grease in a bike trans. If you want to go synthetic then amsoil Super Shift Racing Transmission Fluid is the best choice. It's a 10 weight synthetic ATF designed to hold bearing/gear sheer and clutch loads of over 2000 horse power. The fact that it's 10 weight will give you more power to the ground and the best shifting smoothest feeling clutch period. It's like $2 more a quart than gearsaver. I've been running it in my Shee for 2 years. If any of you out there race MX or quads and have been getting beat lately on the holeshot it’s probably because the other guy is running Supershift. No BS, this stuff is the sh*t and is what a lot of the pro MX teams are running.

Hay Paulie B. Love your avatar. Had that one on my bedroom wall forever when I was like 16.
I’ll bet no one on this forum can name all 3 without googleing.

Last edited:
Ive used Maxima MTL in the past. To me it made the clutch bit to grabby for my taste cold weather shifting the thicker viscosity was noticable.

The amsoil is great in cold weather. I'd bet money you would even see a very small gain on a dyno over 80 weight.

A local 250A rider at ASK (Ackers Suzuki Kawasaki) in Columbus talked me into trying it 2 years ago. Then it was like a "best kept secrete" They stock the stuff at all 3 of there locations because so many of the district 11 riders ask for it. Everyone should at least give it a try.

Any takers on trying to name the 3 dudes in Paulie B's avatar???

well Tim I ordered it today. Old friend of my sells it but didn't have any in stock. Ill give it a try no doubt it will cut down on hp loss do to oil in the trans.