Clutch Holder DXF Pattern

May 24, 2016
South Africa
Hi All

Not sure if anyone's posted something similar, but thought I'd share the pattern I used to make up a clutch holder for my STOCK clutch...

I really struggled to tighten the Clutch nut to 80NM, and was slowly destroying my clutch basket every time the clutch-holder slipped... So I made a DXF template for laser cutting, and had the holder below cut out at work (yes, I am a lucky bastard).

Clutch Holder.jpg

The attached DXF file (inside the .ZIP) is based on a stock clutch plate. It fits my clutch beautifully; just loose enough for easy positioning, but holds the clutch on all grooves firmly. Torqueing the bolt is a breeze with this tool. I had mine laser cut out of 3.2mm (1/8") stainless. I wouldn't use anything thicker than 6mm (1/4") plate, or it may need extra filing to make it fit (depending on the kerf of the laser used).

Feel free to send the DXF out for laser cutting, if anyone needs it. Hope it helps another noob like me :)

Attachments

• Clutch Holder.zip
    3.9 KB · Views: 244
Reactions: Markblaster
Downloaded. Will have a look at file after dinner. :)

One thing I would have done is get a hole in the end of handle so you can hang it on a hook.

Have you got photos of your one?
I took some photos, but I don't have them on my phone. I'll try upload some tonight.

EDIT: There you go, photos as requested. FYI, the handle could have been shorter, but I made it the same length as my torque wrench so that I've got the same leverage on the holder and the wrench... helps stop the motor from doing a backflip off my workbench :D

Clutch Holder 1 - Resize.jpg
Clutch Holder 2 - Resize.jpg

Last edited:
hahahaha yeah.

How was the fitment? nice and tight and clean?

On my STOCK clutch, I gave it a little clearance so it can seat all the way to the bottom of the basket easily. There's about 0.5 - 1mm between the crown of each tooth and the bottom of each groove. The teeth could be slightly longer, but the tighter you make the clearance the more of a pain in the ass it is to line up the tool. The side clearance of each tooth is smaller than that (maybe 0.3mm), so there's minimum "wiggle" when you go to tighten it. It seats nicely and gives a good even torque. No scuffing found on my clutch from using the tool.

If you've got a nice anodized clutch, that you don't want to take a chance with the finish, I'd recommend getting the tool cut out of 6mm (1/4") plate and file down the sharp edges, so you spread the load even more. The tool should work on any clutch that uses stock sized clutch plates, but I can't confirm. :)