CAUTION: BAD KEIHIN FLOAT BOWL DRAIN PLUGS :CAUTION !!!!!

Awk08

Administrator
Staff member
Technician
Jan 30, 2009
DO NOT BUY OR USE THESE !!!!!!

Outlaw Racing Billet Magnetic Float Bowl Drain Nut Keihin MX Motocross Dirtbike
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181669898333?item=181669898333&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

$_1.jpg

THESE DO NOT "WORKS ON MOST 2 AND 4 STROKE KEIHIN CARBS" AS THE DESCRIPTION SAYS !!!!
I CAN GUARANTEE THEY DO NOT WORK IN 34MM PJ's.

I installed this last season because my stock keihin float nut would not seal any longer, no matter what o-ring I tried it leaked.
so this was quick and simple...or so I thought.

last july at dirty's ride, my bike was bogging bad at WOT, (now I remember installing this the day before it started acting up)

we (Bummer, Bronco, Dirty, Blaaster and myself, all very good blaster mechanics) tore into it looking for a cause, we traded out plug, & coil, cleaned the carb, checked float height, checked wiring, reeds, fuel flow, ect. ect.
I did not ride the second day after not fixing it, but.....THE DAMAGE WAS ALREADY DONE !
2 days later I broke my foot and did not ride the rest of last season.
preparing for a ride this weekend I tore into it today to find out what was wrong and my usual spring maintainence, clean carb, filter, new plug, ect, and unwrapped the wiring harness looking for shorts, swapped my CDI and coil into black bike, which fired right up and revved as it should.

THEN I NOTICE THIS ..............

it seems this bowl drain lacks the holes to allow fuel to flow into it and submerge the main jet in fuel mix. it is also too long which blocks the grooves in the bowl, and bottoms it out and seals it against the slosh baffle, blocking its holes and further preventing fuel from reaching the main jet.

stock drain nut with holes ...........
kk.jpg

this CHIWANESE PIECE OF SHIIT without holes, how it blocks the bowls grooves, a remedy I tried, but it was too late :mad:

RED ARROW = BLOCKS GROOVES,
GREEN ARROWS = SEALS AGAINST AND BLOCKS SLOSH BAFFLE HOLES
kk d1.jpg

I tried just drilling holes in the approximate location of the stock ones from the pic Dirty texted me
but it still would not flow fuel into the nut when assembled.
IMG_20150517_123306859.jpg

so I did grooves also, holes up higher and aligned with the grooves, and blue gatorade flowed in, at least without being sealed to the slosh baffle.
IMG_20150517_125030794.jpg

but again, the damage was already done, I'll throw the black bikes engine into my bike for this weekend, and off to KOR my engine goes, all over a $10 part advertised as "fits most 2 & 4 stroke keihin mx carbs"
IT MOST CERTAINLY DOES NOT !!!!!!
:mad:

we will get them s.o.b.:mad:

oh I wrote them thru their ebay ad for this junk, telling them I know this will fall on deaf ears, but it is complete Bullshat they advertise this like they do.

here's another one from moose racing, can't see in the pic if it lacks the holes and sizing of the stock nut, but the descriprion is the same "fits most 2 & 4 stroke keihin carbs"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moose-Racin...eihin-DP117-/331539185884?hash=item4d314680dc

moral of the story......RUN GENUINE KEIHIN OR MIKUNI PARTS ONLY !!!!!!

Well caught Awk, just who would have thought that a drain plug could cause so much of a problem.

I wonder how many more engines are going to suffer a lean mixture because of a $10 lump of junk!

Well caught Awk, just who would have thought that a drain plug could cause so much of a problem.

I wonder how many more engines are going to suffer a lean mixture because of a $10 lump of junk!

bet they bought stocks in the piston companies

Reactions: jus_me
People love there anodized billet aluminum.
Its magnetic and catches unwanted debris in your carburetor, and blocks your gas flow to fry your piston!

It took at least half a dozen experienced people to miss the problem, the inexperienced may fry a multitude of pistons before even realising that the part was blocking the flow.

Reactions: dirtysquared
It took at least half a dozen experienced people to miss the problem, the inexperienced may fry a multitude of pistons before even realising that the part was blocking the flow.

hopefully they're looking on here and learn from my FUBAR.

When we were talking about it earlier today, and we compared pics of my stock bowl nut and this " Chineese" blaster killer, the holes and length stood right out.

All of us were stumped by Awk's problem last summer. It totally sucks that this nut fried his bike, but hopefully we can keep this from happening again.

SAY NO TO NUTS OF COLOR, AND GREEN PAPER BASE GASKETS!!!!!

Reactions: MURPH
As a learning experience for others, could you fill in a few details as to how you rode, and how long time wise you rode? Will give others a good idea of how quick damage will ocur do to lean conditions.

Not flaming or anything as I have seen mention of Banshees melting down on a ten second dyno run, just trying to squeeze one more pony out.

So, just piston damaged? Or cosiderably more?

LOL You want MOOSE NUTS! lol :D

I got moose nutted ..............

IMG_20150521_114127434_HDR.jpg

Ken says he thinks it heated up from lack of fuel, rings locked up and and pushed into the exhaust port.
BTW....thats 3 seasons on this engine and was probably due for a freshen up anyway,
notice the lack of any carbon in the polished exhaust port, and a little Maxima Super M magic :)

Last edited:
Ouch is right.. Going by what others say on how hard you ride the Blasty, that exhaust port looks really clean..

Kinda reminds me of the billet magnetic oil drain plugs that f with the trans..