Cable Rear Brakes. "How to make them work"

Yes you can use a standard shorty cable for up to +2 swingers. if your getting a +3 or +4 your going to need to get the shorty cable made for the +3/+4 swingers.

On my 98, Im having a problem where it seems like im not getting enough pressure to make a complete stop and at times seems like the calipers are seized onto the rotor... would this cable cure my problem or can it also be my rear caliper is no good? Any help would be appreciated..

So you have the cable that runs through the pedal and up to the handlebars? If you think its your caliper take the cover and off it and mine was kinda rusty so I just slapped it full of Marine Grease and caked it into the whole mechanism and around the hole where the pad slides in and put it back together and it quit sticking and I could stop. But before mine started working good I had to ride it for awhile but that coulda also been cuz mine had set for awhile to.

yea my breaks wont work and i have the shorty cable... if i adjust it real tight by hand on the knob it works good once than its done

Great advice and write up. My self adjuster is fubar'd and I brke it trying to adjust it by hand. Anyone got a link to get OEM replacement parts?

blasterbrakes001.gif

I need #3 and #4

I also have a jacked up Adjuster Unit (6)...
So do i have to buy a new caliper or can i get just the parts i need and rebuild mine???

I'm having the same dam problem man!! I have a set ofnbanshee rears, but not really confident after tonights complete disaster. You can order the factory parts from a place called Babbit's. they treated me ok. Let me know if you come up with any tricks for the brakes. thanks man Jeff

Great advice and write up. My self adjuster is fubar'd and I brke it trying to adjust it by hand. Anyone got a link to get OEM replacement parts?

blasterbrakes001.gif

I need #3 and #4

Babbit's is a place i ordered from before. they shipped it really quick for like 5 extra bucks.

I just looked at Babbitsonline and the part is 3.49, but they want 16.58 shipping... F that! I'll find a spare rear caliper used to sacrifice for parts before I pay THAT much for a single piece.

i just did this yesterday, I bought the bike with the rear brakes not working. I picked up a shorty brake cable and fresh pads on ebay, installed them with the directions in post 1 and BAM now I gots me some rear breaks I:I the whole thing took about 30-45 minutes and cost about 55 bucks, totally worth it when you give her to much gas on a wheelie\\\\\\\\\\ thanks

I'm glad this post is still helping ppl out! Like I said in my original post, when I started my journey for rear brakes, I couldn't find "all" of the steps in one place. That's why I decided to write this article for everyone. Enjoy!

yes i have baught a set of pads on ebay and they did not come with the rubber oring on the inner pad which is the main part i needed and now the only way that i have found to get this oring is to buy a kit from the dealer most of the aftermarket pads on ebay doesnt come with the oring if anyone could give me some advice on this matter i would greatly appreciate it .
thanks in advance funfastfather

the pads I bought from ebay didnt have the gasket either. I reused the old one, it was pretty beat up but seems to work fine.

I recommend (if you have the cash). Go to BlasterZone.com and order the complete hydraulic (SELF ADJUSTING) rear brake system for the blaster. It is well worth the money......now if I can just get ahold of some front spindles/rotors/calipers for a front brake conversion i will be golden.