building a swing arm ?

tooter

May 25, 2011
panama city
ok guys got a little bit of a stupid ? ok 1x2 3/16 wall is what every body is using to build a swing arm what about using a 1x2 1/4 wall to build one or is it to heavy.

You don't have to use material that thick if you are willing to use the correct TYPE of material.

1" x 2" rectangular tubing .083" chromoly is the material of choice. It's also VERY expensive but luckily you only need a few feet of it for a swingarm.

ya thats what i thought but i fig. i would ask someone frist. this will be my frist build for my blaster so i dont want to mess up lol.

wow thats heavy ok has any body built one out of alum. and if so what kind. i guess im going to have to find a company that has some chromoly and have them ship it to me ?

I'm going to use 1x2x1/8 mild steel tubing on my swingarm.... 1/4 is over kill...and 3/16 abit heavy... But if i was going to use chromoly i'd use .083" tubing..

5 ft of 1x2x.083 chromemoly is 8 lb
5 ft of 1x2x1/8 steel is 11.26 lb
5 ft of 1x2x3/16 steel is 16.89 lb
5 ft of 1x2x1/4 steel is 22.52 lb

i cant get chromoly here in pc. but i can get 1x2 1/8 here. ok what can i weld this together with mig, tig and if tig what kinda rods do i use

If you are using mild steel, you can use whatever process you are most comfortable with and can penetrate the material the best without burning it out.

1/8" thick mild steel can easily be welded to full penetration with a 220V Mig welder running on shielding gas. It will produce the fastest results...

If you have access to Tig, the Tig will probably create a more attractive finished product but will take longer.

Stick welding could also be used with a small diameter rod and can be made pretty and strong but will require removing the flux before you can coat the work in order to keep moisture from getting under the paint and rusting the steel out.

thank u that really helps me out on that ? going to go get the metal tom. and hope to have it built by next weekend!!! if all goes well i will build one more a 6" to start with then a 12" one the next round. o if u se 1/8 wall do u think i should brace it up a little or no brace?