Brute's '91 YZ125 resto

Brute71

Mar 16, 2009
Eastern North Dakota
Long story short, i got a 1991 YZ125 off a buddy. The thing is in poor condition, but im about to change that :p

Since it was warm enough today, i finally got to work on the plastics. Got them prepped and a light coat of primer on them. They will be yellow when they are done (tank is going to be painted too, i just need to fix a screw hole in it first).

Monday i should be getting some more parts for it. Now, on to the pics!

How it looked before i did much of anything to it:

0315001129.jpg

How she sits now:

0328101719.jpg

0328101719a.jpg

0328101720.jpg

Buddies 98 KX250 in for a fresh top end:

0328101720a.jpg

The plan right now is to finish up the plastics and fuel tank (number plates are going to be white), then finish stripping down the frame, get it sand blasted, then i will get it PC'd black. After that i just need to finish getting the motor together (waiting on parts). Im thinking i might just toss on a pro circuit pipe to go with the silencer already on it a little later.

Small update: Got some stuff in (controls and carb basically). I have the carb in some cleaner right now, and the controls are mounted up. Also painted the plastic today, but that got screwed up because my primer coat was too thin :( So now i have to re sand the plastics and make sure they get a good coat on them.

i've been thinking about colors on this thing. I am going to keep painting the plastics yellow and keep the number plates white, but i was thinking about leaving the chassis the same color (clean up the over spray for now, and maybe strip it and pc it later) and having the seat covered to match it. I think that would look pretty sweet myself with the silver from the engine and suspension. What do you guys think?

still waiting on parts for the engine :/ If the guy doesnt get them together in the next month or so i might just buy a 2000 YZ 125 engine off ebay or something or just a newer bike and put this thing on the back burner.

started to tinker with this thing again, right now its about fully torn down. Gotta redo the plastics still and i need to sand blast the frame. Today i decided to clean up the rear shocks since it was just kinda sitting there. I polished up the lower portion of it, not a mirror finish but still looks very nice (makes it look more AM).

0505101807.jpg

0505101807a.jpg

Shock might need to get some fresh oil, but it moves through its stroke smooth and there's no air bubbles in the oil.