Bolt on swingarm extension kit and chain length

deeeebeeeeee

Aug 20, 2015
Rossville, Ga
To support new top end work which is making its way to me from Conecticut, I ended up buying :
HD clutch kit (HD springs, and full plate in place of helfplate/wave washer)
2" swingarm extension (bolts onto the stock carrier yoke, carrier bolts to extension in a stock manner.
520/100 link Orin chain
14/41 steel cog combo

Just a couple questions

Has anyone ever used this type of swinger extension?
I wasn't too sure about it, but considering retail is $150 and they typically sell for at least $75 I couldn't pass up $29.99 plus shipping, ended up costing $43 shipped.
s-l400.jpg

Were the stock mounts strong enough to handle the extension?
Stock chain is a 92 link.
Is a 100 link chain long enough to support a +2 swinger and one extra tooth on each sprocket 14/41?
My best guess puts me at 99 or 100 links, it looks like I could use the bottom slider on the factory mount to shorten the total link a little bit.
Does 20" tires on 14/41 gearing sound OK for this setup with an engine around 25 rwhp?

I am currently running 18" tires with 14/40 gearing, I intend to go to 20x11-8 tires and one tooth lower on the rear sprocket for 14/41 gearing.

For reference with 18" tires
13/40 was too low
14/40 was better but left me feeling like 1-3 was too low for trails and 4-6 was to tall for the trails, although 4-6 was still a little low for more open areas, long straights, gravel road etc
My hope is that the taller gearing afforded by the 20" tires will speed it up to the point where 2-4 are good for all but the tightest or most open trails, and the slightly lower gearing to the axle will keep the power strong when in 5th or 6th and still allow over 60mph top speed.

Update

Received and installed this kit today, it came with alot more Tha expected , it has everything needed to extend a banshee or blaster.
Including trick cable brake extension, Oring Chain extension and master link, chain/ disk guard relocation kit.

It went together really easily and seems pretty sturdy. I wouldn't use more than 1 which gives a 2 inch extension .

The only thing I didn't like about it was, it included 13mm bolts and nuts ( I didn't even have a 13mm wrench in my motorbike tool box).
The instructions were basically just a couple pictures and a few words, it really wasn't all that hard to put together. But it was annoying figuring out which spacer washers went where, and wondering if you swingarm is tweaked or not.

Definitely worth the $43 shipped, I imagine it will stand up to about any use. I would be concerned about suspension bottoming landings and possibly landing hard on one rear wheel at a bad angle.

That's definitely good to hear. have you had any instsnces, while using the extension, where the rear axle took some heavy punishment such as, clipped a rear tire against a tree, knarly off center hump or stump at high speed, hard off center landing, etc. , where you were just sure you bent the axle or the extension , only to find it was all good ?

Have you managed to tear one up?

I have definitely riden it hard, never clipped a tree with just the rear, as the front is wider than the rear. The only issue I have had with mine was it did not come with extensions for the skid plate, I made my own. You also seem to loose a little adjustment on the chain tensioners.