Bog when wide open only and slow return to idle after rev

Tavmonsta58

May 15, 2017
I have a 2001 blaster, 130 psi, injection block off kit, fresh cleaned carb and air filter, fresh 91 octane gas with close to 3 oz of amsoil dominator a gallon, changed tranny fluid, spark plug, air screw between 1.5-2 turns out.. It was running fine last year and all winter as I would give it cold starts now and again, and I took it out the other day and it idles fine, but when you open the throttle wide open it bogs out for a second.. Also when I give it gas, the rev sticks around and dings a few times before returning to normal idle.. I have not ridden it yet as I'm hoping I do not have a leak and I don't have a leak down tester. But it was fine and all of a sudden I take it out and it's doing this.. Also when it first started these problems, when I started the quad up it had very low, almost no idle out of nowhere, haven't touched the idle screw at all even before then since I bought it.. Any suggestions? Thank you.

-Evan

Last edited:
There has also been some gas coming out of the carburetor overflow. Was told the float could be sticking? I cleaned the carb pretty damn well, so would that mean I need a new carb or a float kit? I just wanna figure this thing out. I should also mention the old plug was black and soaked when I pulled it, no starting problems starts first kick every time. Could I just be running rich? Would that explain the gas coming out of overflow though?

Also check that floats don't have a pin hole and are filling up with gas. Clean the needle and seat in the carb and bench test it to make sure flow is stopping. On your hanging idle issue, Your pilot jet is too lean.

Reactions: blasterboy91
I had the same problem with mine. I bought a rebuild for the carb and set my float now it works great. But what helped the most was the TORS delete.

Thank you for the replies, I adjusted the float needle which was the reason why there was gas coming out of the overflow. I also put float into gas to check for leaks, doesn't seem like there's a problem there. Now I found my throttle cable, the sheathing is cracked and I can see the cable. I'm thinking that could be my problem for the long rev and the bog because I can rev it through the roof when I pull the cable, but when I hit the throttle there is a bog. Also it seems to stick at higher rpm's when I play with it, probably sticking hence the long rev. Im going to get a new cable and get back to you guys on that. Any input? Also I noticed a very small hole in my exhaust, smaller than the end of a cigarette. Would that make a noticeable difference as well? Thank you

Also to backwoods, I'm pretty sure the tors has been removed already. The clip from the top of the tors is disconnected, can any left over wires that haven't been cut cause additional problems?

Also to backwoods, I'm pretty sure the tors has been removed already. The clip from the top of the tors is disconnected, can any left over wires that haven't been cut cause additional problems?
Mine is a 06 so it's different than yours. The tors delete kit comes with cable , cap for the top of the carb and idle screw all jokes a side I had your same problems that I put the delete on and fixed everything. Search for tors delete information.

Well I looked at the wires and the tors box on the front next to cdi is unplugged and so is the plug coming from the top of the carb, so the tors is disconnected but the box is still on top of the carb.. Idle screw still works also, can keeping that box while tors is off cause additional problems? Also could a bad cdi cause weak spark towards the top end of the throttle, can I test this by kicking while holding the throttle half way open to see if the spark is weaker(starts no problem though)? I don't have the throttle cable just yet to see if that was the exact problem but I'm trying to do what I can to get this thing running as good and quick as possible.

Well I got a new cable, only helped a little bit.. When I take my air box lid off it doesn't bog at all, with lid on it does. Would there be a cause for that and is it safe to run like that if it runs better without? I only have the stock 230 main with 32.5 pilot. Also could my throttle slide be sticking? It has black buildup all over the side of it, not sure from what. Slide has gas on it when I take it out also.. Any info would be appreciated I'm cleaning up the slide and seeing if anything changes.

Well I got a new cable, only helped a little bit.. When I take my air box lid off it doesn't bog at all, with lid on it does. Would there be a cause for that and is it safe to run like that if it runs better without? I only have the stock 230 main with 32.5 pilot. Also could my throttle slide be sticking? It has black buildup all over the side of it, not sure from what. Slide has gas on it when I take it out also.. Any info would be appreciated I'm cleaning up the slide and seeing if anything changes.
I took 800 grit sand paper to my slide helped some. It shouldn't hurt it.

The black is a Teflon coating which the factory applied to keep the carb slide from sticking, do not remove it from the slide!