Blaster slugish and blowing white smoke

Scspeed

Aug 23, 2009
I just bought an 03 blaster, the kid said it was bore .5 over just cleaned up and honed with a new piston and rings, The motor he said was not broken in yet and that i would have to do it. I drove the bike around my yard today, it blows white smoke while at idle or driving, warm or cold. Is this because it is not yet broken in? the rings are not yet completely seated? Also the bike seems to be a bit sluggish down in lower rpms almost like its running too rich, i tryed adjusting the carb but it seems fine.

The kid said that everything was went over and the carb has just been completely cleaned inside and out so i don't think its that. I was thinking possibly the plug being fouled? because it has not been replaced yet since the new build.

Or is this just all happening because it is not fully broken in yet?! Help im lost.

I drove the bike for at least 2 hrs today and i would think by now it would be broken in?? Also the bike has a full fmf pipe w fatty and a reed spacer that is about it.

nothing is wrong with the engine its your crank seals this is a common probem you just have to replace them and your good to go. all the smoke is is the blaster burning tranny oil because the crank seals are leaking

ok but then why the hesitation and the loss of power down low? seems like its running rich?? maby its my plug? or i need a carb adjustment?

ok but then why the hesitation and the loss of power down low? seems like its running rich?? maby its my plug? or i need a carb adjustment?

nope its just the crank seals trust me this problem happens really often its symptoms are exactly what you described lots of white smoke huge loss of power and the reason it seems rich is because the tranny oil is leaking and the engine is trying to burn it which is what is causing all the smoke leave your carb alone its not the problem the plug is fine.

^^^ hes right, this is a common problem. On a blaster the crank and tranny are supposed to be completely sealed off from each other. When the crank seal goes it lets fuel, air, and tranny fluid pass through the seal. This lets the tranny fluid get burnt of in the combustion cycle, giving you white smoke. It also can let excess air and the obvious tranny oil into the cylinder throwing off your air/fuel ratio. Which believe it or not is probably going lean not rich, the extra smoke from the tranny oil could make it appear to be rich. On top of all that this can also let gas into the crank case which kind of "waters" down the tranny fluid and could be bad on a number of things. The easiest way to check this is to check the tranny oil. it will either start going low or smell like gas or both.

If none of these seem to be your problem then it would almost have to be to much oil in the gas. this generally only happens when you pre-mix (as in removing the stock oil injection which I highly recomend as it is known to fail)

what if when you first start it up and it smokes but after you ride it a bit you cant see the smoke i did just change types of oils 2 its the one in oriellys thats all black and is called masterpro??? and i do pre mix

would oil be pouring out of stator

theres 2 crank seals the stator and clutch side. if there isnt any oil coming out out of the sator side and you still see white smoke its your clutch side leaking. eaither way if your blaster smokes white it means your crank seals are leaking and i would highly suggest to replace both seals.

Hi I know this is an old post but I have the same problem. I dont have any oil on the stator side so broke down the clutch side and replaced the oilseal on the right crank (it looked really bad and was falling apart) this was a real pain in the butt to remove and press back in it took almost 3 hours. anyway I got it all done and inspected it for cracks and bends (looks good). put the engine back together and started her up...... same problem :-/
what should I check or change now?
Thanks in advance... this site is GREAT!!I:I

Scotj77, I thought the same thing so I let it run for about 5 min while pumping the trottle. I then rode it around the block and alomost had t push it home. it had almost no power after I rode about 200 yards. it ran for about 14-15 min.

Brandoz28, you think its just an air leak? i'll look for a real tester. i did do the poor mans test but it didnt change a thing.

Thanks for the fast response!!!

you need to do a leakdown test to pinpoint the location of your air leak.

I bought a leakdown tester from you and used it yesterday because I also have the same problem after a top end rebuild. How do I know if the seals are leaking by using the leakdown tester??? Its not leaking from any gaskets, the spark plug hole, or the reeds. We sprayed it down with soapy water and cant find anything bubbling, but we lost about 1 and 1/2 to 2 pounds in about an hour. We pressurized it to 10. Please help bro.

Thanks.

shouldn't he be ok if he only lost a pound and a half in an hour?

also redd dragon you could be leaking between the cases in the crank chamber. sucking oil and air from the tranny

yeah, if you're holding that much for that long you should be ok.

if you're losing that much in the first few minutes i'd be concerned but if its only lost that much from that relatively high pressure i wouldn't worry about it