Blaster problem

Josh Muna

Jun 19, 2014
Hello everyone! I need help! Lol I have a 2001 yamaha blaster. I recently fixed it and it's been running 1 month strong. Me and my brother took it off-roading today and it was okay until he jumped a small hill then moments after it died. I don't have at flywheel/stator cover to its spins freely. When I checked the bike the nut in the middle was loose so I tighten it and tried starting it and it didn't start. Every other kick it "farts" (idk what it's called) it either does that or makes a loud "pack" noise. Please help me.... I need my four wheeler this summer. Lol thank you !

The flywheel has spun on the crankshaft and broken the woodruff key.

Check to see if the taper inside the flywheel is scored, if so you may need to lap it.

Where is the woodruff key located? How to I check the taper? I need the flywheel removal tool right?

You need a tool to get the flywheel off!

Notice the taper on the shaft, it fits into a corresponding taper in the flywheel.

The key is 22.

If the inside of the flywheel taper is scored it will need lapping to get it to fit up properly.

Check it out and get back, forget buying anything at this point!

image.jpg

Okay thanks i will open it up and take a look. I somewhat get it but what is the Taper in this image? thank you by the way

Your key could be sheared off and a part of it sitting in the shaft.

Take notice of where 22 goes in, it is part way down a concentric taper which fits into a corresponding one in the flywheel.

The taper in the flywheel must be smooth, not ridged, or the wheel will spin again.

The key locates where to wheel goes on, and the pressure applied by tightening the nut, forces the tapers into each other and locks them together.

That is why you may need a tool to pull the flywheel off.

Okay I'll open it up and check it. I'll take pictures. i got to buy the flywheel puller first. Thank you ill get back to you.

FWIW, you can get the puller off eBay for less than $10.00/shipped depending on where you are located(if you are in the continental US). I got mine in less than 4 days from the day I purchased it. HTH

FWIW, you can get the puller off eBay for less than $10.00/shipped depending on where you are located(if you are in the continental US). I got mine in less than 4 days from the day I purchased it. HTH
Yeah I just purchased mine yesterday on eBay. Thanks