Banshee engines and timing

Budget_Blaster

Dec 25, 2009
Illinois
I got an alba pro comp hi rev cdi box on my banshee and was wondering what shees like for timing and where certain timing advances would be most beneficial to performance with my particular mods which are standard sleeve 64mm,T5's,chariot performance reeds,forged wisecos,stock carbs,27.5 pilots,280 mains,stock needles middle clip,k&n filter,stock air box no lid,40% bigger aluminum radiator.Just a good rebuilt bolt on shee.

Heres a pic of the different options the cdi box has that you can select.Of the settings availible where would i benefit most with my mods?I plan to experiment with it now that its up and running correctly.But where should a good starting point be?

bansheeignition.jpg

Personally i run +4 advance. I tried the aftermarket cdi similar to what you have and i prefer a timeing plate and the stock CDI. I am running 19cc domes with race fuel and if i go any further than +4 it dont do as well. I wouldnt go above +4 advance and that cdi only allows +3 or +5 from what i am reading. I would try them all but i doubt +5 will be needed. Everyone will tell you diferant timeing advances but you really need to hit them all and see how it feels . Most of your power will come from dialing in your jetting and carbs.

Personally i run +4 advance. I tried the aftermarket cdi similar to what you have and i prefer a timeing plate and the stock CDI. I am running 19cc domes with race fuel and if i go any further than +4 it dont do as well. I wouldnt go above +4 advance and that cdi only allows +3 or +5 from what i am reading. I would try them all but i doubt +5 will be needed. Everyone will tell you diferant timeing advances but you really need to hit them all and see how it feels . Most of your power will come from dialing in your jetting and carbs.

Yea thats what i was going to do but my main concern was if any of those settings were too much?

What about the cdi like mine did you not like?

Well ive got the carbs dialed in and the motor broke in and put it on the 5th position with the 3+ at 2500-3600 and its definately noticeable i started there but i did a couple runs up and down the field and i could feel a difference so im going to try the others and see which it likes.

Yea thats what i was going to do but my main concern was if any of those settings were too much?

What about the cdi like mine did you not like?

I really dont understand the concept of the cdi internally changeing the timeing and i wasnt sure the true timeing is correct on those aftremarkets as well as yamaha makes an awsome stock cdi thats almost bullet proof and with a timeing plate you know exactly what you have as well as being able to set it at any degree like +4 or +6, on that you cant. Another reason i dont like it is they are prone to problems and i dont want to chase my tail if it aint running right and at this point in the game if mine aint running right its almost allways my jetting becasue all my other stuff like ignition and carbs are right. I dont know if that cdi has a setting that will be to much for your motor because who knows for real what that setting is? I personally dont believe what they claim. One of the major factors for me going to a stock CDI and stator as well as timeing plate is because of the dozens of others who have helped me tune mine tell me to throw that sh*t away, plain and simple.

X2 heard the same thing about them as well i got a timing plate and set to +4 also if your cooling system isn't up to task you have overheating to deal with from advancing the timing

I agree with mjay. IF they gave you ALL the info on the timing curve id be different, kind of like a Vito's 10* advance key, recomended only for drag. Most that get a dyna cdi end up with stock curve , the rest end up with programable custom curve.