5. Screwdriver or metal punch
6. 7/8 socket and ratchet
7. Needle nose pliers
8. Something to prop the rear end up
9. Time and patients
10. Rags
11. New codder pin
12. Propain torch (optional)

Alright start off by getting your work area set up and everything in reach. Then for use further on in the job, ice your bearing and seals. Then take the codder pin out of the castle nut on the left tire. Once out tke your 7/8 socket and take the nut off. It may be hard i had to get a 2 foot long breaker bar. Ok now prop the machine up with somthing under the skid plate, doesnt need to be too high just enough to get the tires off the ground. Pull that tire and spindel off the axle. Now pull the axle out from the right side. At this point you should be here:

DSCF0040.jpg
[/IMG]

Now pull out the seals (if there still there) with the claw end of your hammer. If you dont have a hammer a flathead screwdriver will work. Just go in the criss cross patern.

DSCF0046.jpg
[/IMG]

Once they are out you can now start work on the bearings. Go for the best one first, in most cases this is the right hand side. If possible use the same techinque as you did with the seals. Use your claw end and criss cross around the bearing be sure to set on the bearing, not the carrier.

DSCF0043.jpg
[/IMG]

If you cannot use this method or the bearing will not move use your punch or your screwdriver (depending on which you have) to tap them out. Set your screwdriver on the bearing from the left side thru th carrier. Use a criss cross patern. Once the first bearing is out remove the inner sleeve from the carrier. Now you have a clear shot at the more mangeld bearing.

Starting with the claw try to pull any thing out that you can from the remaining bearing.

DSCF0045.jpg

If you get luckey then the whole thing will come out in your hand. If not the inner race, and the ball bearings will come out leaving in the outter race.

DSCF0040.jpg

If this happens and the claw will not work go the oppisite side and use the punch or screwdriver and tap it out. In some extreme cases i have had to use a wood chisel to break up the outter race. Once thats out you should be left with this:

DSCF0047.jpg

Here is were your rags come in, clean everything out youe possibly can. Old grease, grime, dirt, balls, shavings, water whatever, get it out. Try to scrape any carbon build up but try not to scar the carrier while doing so. Do not use any kind of grease dissolving spray or wash unless you intend of COMPLETLY getting it ALL out or it will disslove the new grease and cause your bearing to fail prematurely.

DSCF0048.jpg

Now your are ready to install your new bearings.
Once its all clean you can put in your first bearing. It doesnt matter which side so just choose one. Take one of your iced bearings and start it in one side, just push it intill is stays. Now depending on how tight the fit is you may need to heat the inside of the carrier where the new bearing will sit. If you cannot tap in the bearing take it out and flame the inner seat for about a minute or so then try again. The heat casuses the metal to exapand making the opining bigger. Use a criss cross method to tap it in as far as it will go. Now take your seal and fill the gap on the inside with grease. Now push it in. It may need tapping as well. Now take about a half a handful of grease and fill the inside of the carrier, get it all over.

Now take your cleaned inner sleeve and grease it up.

I used bel ray because it is the best working grease i have found for the axles and its very this so it will stay where you put it. Anyway dont be afraid to load it up put a nice thick coat on the inside and out. Push it in until it hits the bearing on the other side. And sorry i couldnt take pics for this part i was doing this myself and i dint want my camera too greasy

DSCF0052.jpg

Now repeat with this bearing, tap it in, fill the seal, push it in and put in more grease. ( i am very generouse with the grease, it does help belive me)

Now take your cleaned axle and lube up where it is contained by the carrier and slide it in from the right side. Put chain on your sproket and set it up so the axle will go thru it. Put on your lock nuts then your hub then the castle nut and the new codder pin.

Wipe up any excess grease there will be some and your done. Thanks for reading guys its my first DIY so take it easy on me eh? And if missed anything or you have a alternate way of doing things lemme know and i will include it or somthingI:I
Hope it helpsI:I

nice job blanshee man. im sure this will help alot of people.the pics are clear and your explanation was easy to follow ! see you in april !lol

i dont suppose anyone would like to tell me the dimensions of the inner sleeve?
some jackass hasnt bothered to put it back in when replacing the bearings so my blaster has been eating bearings like its going out of fashion until i realised what was missing :p

have some rep aswell :)

thanx, and for anyone wonderin if their bearings need replaced, just stick your finger on them and roll them completely around and if they roll smooth they are ok, but if they don't roll smooth or feel weird, or worn out, replace them. also, a axel nut wrench helps alot on taking off the lock nuts.

I have a 2006 Yamaha blaster and im changing the rear axle bearings and I got everything out and I was wondering if there is another spacer besides the big one because one side has more room than the other side

hey, i have a 2001 yamah blaster i recently put in new rear end bearings, the brake disc didnt line up with th ebrake it wouldnt bolt on without bending the heck out of the disc so i need help, i rode it around it seemed nice, i then blew out my sprockets so i have tried putting the bearing in more but its in all the way need help asap

i got it off amazon it said it was specificly for my blaster so i bought it, yes they r seated all the way in, there is a tube that goes in the carrier and that stops at the little round notch on the shaft thats where my bearings are stopping at on the brake side.

well i calleed a yamaha shop they said i have to put the bearings on the rear end first then push the carrier to the bearing, i hope its writ eill try it later on ill,keep u guys posted but i need help asap.

Nope the bearing don't go on the circle housing on the shaft do I have to heat and cool something

Question for you guys. I just replaced my bearings, seals and dust boots on rear of my blaster. Rode it for a while and was fine. Then out of no where in side the casing sounds like an awful screeching noise. Not the bearings in the center of the case. Any ideas what it would be? Not enough grease maybe? Thanks all.

Question for you guys. I just replaced my bearings, seals and dust boots on rear of my blaster. Rode it for a while and was fine. Then out of no where in side the casing sounds like an awful screeching noise. Not the bearings in the center of the case. Any ideas what it would be? Not enough grease maybe? Thanks all.
Could be, see thread "Where's the Grease" by Ask. Or you may have overtightened them.

Reactions: Adam01blaster
can someone tell me whats the difference between a 1998 rear axle and a 2006 axle and can i replace the 1998 axle with a 2006 ?