Another voltage regulator Q!!

xjma

So, I tested my voltage regulator. Tested from the brake light. All bulbs were burnt out. At idle, and just above, it would jump up to 15 or so. Went to dealership, got new bulb for 3.50, but they didn't have a voltage regulator there, they cost 88 bux or so, and even the dude behind the counter recommended that I get something aftermarket or used!! Anyone know of a cheaper part??

So I went home, and I took the voltage regulator off of the blaster that I've still got ripped apart and threw it on the running one. Tested it at idle, and just above (motor was cold, so just light revs while it was warming up with choke out) and it didn't go above 4....I thought my problem was solved!! Threw the new bulb in and started to ride. The light worked fine while I slowly took a lap around the yard to get the bike warmed up, you know, nothing more than 1/4...maybe 1/2 throttle to get the motor warm. Then once I warmed it up a bit and opened her up, the light burnt out!! Happened the first time I really hit the powerband hard.....

So, no my question is, could there be something happeneing that would be blowing the regulator? Do they just wear out after so many hours?? I have no idea if this regulator that I put in was even good, the headlight on the other blaster is burnt out too....not sure if it was just from useage or if that reg is toast too....

Also, anyone know of a cheaper alternative to the stock voltage regulator for 88 bux?? Other than strapping a headlamp on and riding!!!a

*edit* - I guess bikebandit has them for 72.30...but that's still kinda expensive for a little metal box!!

get used or there is a universal one availble that is better than stock

under 20 bucks and it will be the last one you ever need

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/P-122002/Regulator,+Ac+Unwired

Sweet, just what I need!! Other than it not failing like the stocker, what specifically is better about it? Got any technical info? I just like to know these things!

Thanks for the offer D.Jackson, but I think I'll just go this route...

You tried two voltage regulators and they both fried. Are they properly grounded? If they aren't grounding properly they won't work. Check that out.

Have a great day,

Rob.

i purchased one of these unoiversal voltage regulators. do i just ground the black wire to ground and connect the yellow wire to the blue wire coming from the stock harness or do i have to ground it by bolting it to the frame through the center whole? thanks, any help will be apreciated.

i purchased one of these unoiversal voltage regulators. do i just ground the black wire to ground and connect the yellow wire to the blue wire coming from the stock harness or do i have to ground it by bolting it to the frame through the center whole? thanks, any help will be apreciated.

the stock one gets bolted to the frame so i would do that, might not even matter but just n case lol :D