another should i keep my blaster thread. suspension

amartin_72

Mar 23, 2014
Madison WI
Hi guys im beginning to wonder if my blaster is for me. I love it and got it because i have strict budget paid 650 about $ 1000 in now but i like the ride quality and suspension of my wifes trailblazer 250 much better. My back was killing me after a few hours. Then i took hers down the same trails and it was like a cloud. Not to mention how much shifting is required in the sand have to keep it above 5k rpms.

Im just wondering if putting a used 50 dollar rear shock and 100 dollar pair front shocks would be worth it versus switching to a trailblazer or do i need longer arms.

Her swingarm is only 17 inches mine is 18 both stock. That gives me hope i could get a trailblazer or newer scrambler fox shock and fab it in.

Which would get me closer to her ride quality sooner front or rear shocks?

Hi guys im beginning to wonder if my blaster is for me. I love it and got it because i have strict budget paid 650 about $ 1000 in now but i like the ride quality and suspension of my wifes trailblazer 250 much better. My back was killing me after a few hours. Then i took hers down the same trails and it was like a cloud. Not to mention how much shifting is required in the sand have to keep it above 5k rpms.

Im just wondering if putting a used 50 dollar rear shock and 100 dollar pair front shocks would be worth it versus switching to a trailblazer? or do i need trailblazer?

Her swingarm is only 17 inches mine is 18 both stock. That gives me hope i could get a trailblazer or newer scrambler fox shock and fab it in. The struts in front on the trailblazer have a good geometry.

Which would get me closer to her ride quality sooner front or rear shocks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Find a used 400ex shock on ebay, buy some KOR 400ex bushings to make it all work. If your handy, that's a really good cheap rear shock upgrade that works. The 400ex shock is compression, and rebound adjustable.

Fronts, you can get used Banshee shocks priced pretty reasonably, they bolt right up. If you save some cash, look for a pair of Used Works Shocks. That will really make your rides more enjoyable.

original posts merged to eliminate the duplicate threads.

i guess it depends on what you use your quads for.
the faster you go the stiffer you want your suspension.
the slower you go the softer you want it as in a race perspective.
kinda like a honda civic going around a corner at 70 opposed to a chevy trailblazer at 70 lol :)
or whatever you can imagine...i think widening it also will make it slightly softer,and of course the 400ex shock and different ones up front

Ok I will look for that shock I know its the go to. I was running 7 or 8 psi in the tires for some dumb reason I am going to try 4 psi all the way around and yes it just felt like i couldn't even lose my wife on the trails the faster i went the more it hurt every time i would think i was way ahead i would look and she was right on my ass! We do about 40-55 mph on the trails here I can gps 70+mph. The stock rear is at its lowest setting compression i will try raising it a little. I weigh 190.

I have the 400ex rear and just picked up a set of used Works for the front. I'm going out today and let you know how the fronts work. Should be a huge difference. I know how you feel about getting beat up. Those stock fronts will do that to you.

So the shocks were amazing! Such a huge improvement over the stock. I found myself able to ride faster and harder. Also the handling was better. All in all probably the best investment made so far.
I had the same results, huge improvement. Also ... Banshee shocks are too stiff guys, save up for the Works !

im over 200 lbs and am an aggressive rider. i haven't upgraded my stock pogo sticks yet due to funds. i have them set one step off full soft and also run a wide suspension. it is about a full 50 inches front and rear. i had my faded up north pretty quick but seemed to handle the.abuse. still suck, don't get me wrong. so let me know how you like whatever you buy. +1 on works. may save for elkas when i can myself.

I always look at things like this: What needs to be done, how do I get there, how do I fund the "getting there" part.

If you need a better ride, the fix is better suspension. Funding for that is within your budget, I can assure you. I can ride in intervals for 2-3x as long on my Banshee after I added the triples w/res. Seeing as how a good deal of people (not all) consider the Banshee shocks to be an upgrade for the Blaster, I think all of your problems will be resolved with a set of Works shocks.

Words really do not describe how much better shocks will help. I thoroughly believe that the best mod outside of pipes on my Banshee is the upgraded suspension. You would be amazed. Get a set for your Blaster (Blaster set, not a Banshee set, of course). They usually pop up for under 300 shipped on here.

I would advise that you not go to a trailblazer though. A Blaster has much more potential than the Polaris does. My completely unbiased opinion is that you look for whatever fits your needs and budget. Someone is going to accuse me of treason for this, but a new 450 will ride like a cloud compared to a Blaster and a trailblazer and they can still be improved upon. Selling the Blaster for a new 450 is an option that I'd recommend you consider. Hell, my Banshee in stock form was leaps and bounds more comfortable than my wife's Blaster.

You have many options. We'd love to see you have a badass Blaster, but we'd all much prefer you being sure that you go about getting what you ultimately want in a way that doesn't kill your desire for the sport as a whole.

Thanks you for the replys. I. I dont capitalize i unless my phone does. I will give shocks a try. I think losing shifting would take most fun out. I am. Going to also try 13 tooth sprocket for more power in the sand maybe less downshifting.

The switch to a different sprocket (and rear sprocket and chain) would be less cost effective than going to a re-chambered head. IIRC, KOR does the mod for $60, plus shipping both ways and a head-gasket ($120ish). That'll give you a really nice boost in power across the board.

KOR!!!!! How much do you charge for that mod? I recommend it to people all the time but I don't know your price.

Reactions: Fast6hand