Another homemade swingarm

looks awesome and love that sticker, haha. I have been thinking about doing something similar, but reading through phragles posts just seems to overwhelm me for some reason and I'm a little skiddish to try it, and I'm not actually super confident in my welding yet, but then again you never know how far you can go, till you go to far, I may try picking up a cheap stocker and toying around with it.

LOL.. this build's always been bout learning & fun. We're working on a no drill/no weld, bolt on version of this for the 400ex shock to a stock Blaster arm. We'll test it on our other Blaster before I say any more bout that but I think lots of peeps could use it.

chainguide005.jpg

I picked up the shock mount link for a 200x a while ago, but havent had time to play with it.

I thought I should try to describe what I did since I used Phragle's info but didn't exactly follow his instructions and don't want to mislead anyone. I havent tested any of this stuff and I plan on junking the works shocks and using yfz shocks so all the front stuff will change... I would still have a stock mount if not for Phragle's thread and pix of Blastersaurus. I did it a little different but I think I got similar results. Maybe not max travel cuz I was concerned about chain angle. I used a 400ex rear shock. Took the springs off front & rear shocks. Wrapped masking tape around a short pencil so it fit snuggly in the bottom shock holes. Clamped a piece of cardboard to the inside of the swing arm and marked it so I could put it back if it moved. I compressed the shock with a bar clamp (it's still under some pressure from the gas) till the bumper was compressed about 1/2", tied it off with a piece of romex copper wire and removed the clamp. With the wheels still on the quad, I set the frame on a 2 1/2" block about where the pegs are. I mounted the shock with the top bolt and made an arc on the cardboard with the pencil. Now jack the front & back to the desired height. I didn't care how many inches of travel I got. I wanted 2 1/2" clearance at the bottom with my shortest tires and a safe arm/chain angle at the top of travel. When the bike was jacked to the height I wanted I untied the shock so it extended to full length and swung another arc on the cardboard.
Where the arcs crossed was my new lower mount location.

BTW: This is not the most convenient place for a shock mount as it's along the bottom edge of the swing arm and you can't just weld on a couple tabs and put a bolt through... :)

I raised & dropped the quad several times checking clearances for ground, fenders, shock, and angles for the arm & chain before I made my arcs. I was also doing the same thing to the front works shocks/a-arms at this time. In my case I did this at 3 different configurations rear & 2 on the front so I could play with different locations & tire sizes plus the stock location
This is just a cheap lazy guys way of tryin to do what Phagle properly explained. Hope I didn't confuse you!
Bottom of travel:
swingarm005.jpg

Top of travel:
swingarm006.jpg

If peeps demand maybe someone will. I don't understand why all aftermarket arms are for the pos stock shock. Seems like a nitch that needs to be filled. Same amount of work to build a better product.

When I built the one for 34, I was ready to start producing at $600 including shock, everything ready to bolt on and go. lots of people said they wanted one, no one was willing to pay for one. Making swingers is way to labor intensive to pop out one here and there... you need to be able to cut the various peices to make several and pop them out. I couldn't get a solid order for one much less 5.

When I built the one for 34, I was ready to start producing at $600 including shock, everything ready to bolt on and go. lots of people said they wanted one, no one was willing to pay for one. Making swingers is way to labor intensive to pop out one here and there... you need to be able to cut the various peices to make several and pop them out. I couldn't get a solid order for one much less 5.

Yup! I can't find the time to put the Blasty back together and I don't want to catch an ulcer tryin to fill an occasional order. On the other hand it shouldn't be a big deal for an outfit like the Swingarm Shop to offer the option. There's prolly a million Blasters out there bouncin around on stock shocks ( I wonder how many Blasters Yamaha sold) A simple install upgrade package might find it's way as the word got out.

Last edited:
yeah i get that. it is way too hard to find a nitch in any sort of performance application that is profitable. that is why most of us love blasters. semi cheap upgrades. who wants to work their fingers to the bone to break even.

stir it up ... needed to build a swinger that suits my needs, was really cheap and hopefully doesn't end up looking like a part off an industrial strength lift gate ... burp