Air filter setup for sand

Brian Boehmer

Feb 9, 2018
So I just got this blaster last year. I found a used la sleeve 240 kit from a local guy. Had a scar on the wall of the cylinder and ran ok but had low compression like 90psi. I took it to the machine shop today and he basically told me my air filter sucks and is letting sand and crap get into the cylinder. I ride mostly dunes and was wondering what I need to keep the sand out. Special kind of filter for dunes?
I do have holes in the airbox lid that the last owner put there. Maybe I need to cover those holes with a prefilter or something?
TIA

My son got his Blaster last year and we rode at Pismo. Sand in airbox was a big problem. We are new to atv and would also like suggestions for a good filter/airbox setup for sand riding. Doing maintenance now for our big trip next month. Appreciate some suggestions!

I've seen where some say well oiled K&N with outerwear for sand and dual stage oiled foam for dirt.
IMO, oiled foam should work for sand.
Be sure to use foam filter oil.

Reactions: Awk08
K&N's are for fart can equipped honda civics only !!!!
I'm not a believer

oiled foam, maybe even with an outerwears for extra sand/water protection, is for offroad machines !
UNI, Maxima and Twin Air all make good foam filters and oil for them
but what do I know :rolleyes:

Wasn't implying that the K&N was the answer, I myself am not overly impressed with them for dirt. Agreed they may be fine for a fart can that doesn't see any where near the amount of dust/dirt/sand as any off-road machine.

Reactions: Awk08
Wasn't implying that the K&N was the answer, I myself am not overly impressed with them for dirt. Agreed they may be fine for a fart can that doesn't see any where near the amount of dust/dirt/sand as any off-road machine.

yep, I got that out of your original post, and wasn't replying directly to your post, was just a general statement on my beliefs
I generally disregard everything said by those sand guys who make 10 straight line passes twice a year and spend the rest of the weekends drinking :)