Advice on new rear brakes

Jayde

Jan 3, 2017
I know most people say to get them from awk on my searches but I guess he doesn't make them anymore. Can someone hook me up with a link that a setup preferably a hydro swap. I don't really have the time to fabricate something.

Think you're only option is to make your own sorry. AWK hasn't made them in ages and had no plan on making any more.

This is a Ninja 250 setup on a pre-2003 carrier.
You need the post 2003 fixed rotor to run a floating caliper like this.
200642_10150167877300803_2899564_n.jpg

Just a 1/4" mounting tab stick welded to the carrier.
540317_10151004900685803_2110799469_n.jpg

Here is a Warrior caliper and master cylinder fitted on a pre-2003.
The caliper is taken apart and mated to a 1/4" steel bolt on mount.
Caliper becomes fixed so it can be used with the early floating disk.
576309_10150946179840803_1788770621_n.jpg

This is my prefered way to go for pre2003 now but requires the steel adapter made.

Steve

Two things. If fab your own, the "tab" that gets welded to the brake petal needs to be as short as possible to have mechanical advantage over the master cylinder.
It's totally fine having both the caliper and disc "floating", mines been like that for 4+ yrs, no problems.

Two things. If fab your own, the "tab" that gets welded to the brake petal needs to be as short as possible to have mechanical advantage over the master cylinder.
It's totally fine having both the caliper and disc "floating", mines been like that for 4+ yrs, no problems.

Not on all setups, Larry.
Some can have everything float to the far side and drop out a pad.
How do I know?
229206_10150236712600803_5649659_n.jpg

There is a reason the chain is off and the brake pad is sitting on the seat.
The Ninja caliper needed a fixed disc, so I went the Warrior route.

This is a Ninja 250 setup on a pre-2003 carrier.
You need the post 2003 fixed rotor to run a floating caliper like this.
Just a 1/4" mounting tab stick welded to the carrier.

Here is a Warrior caliper and master cylinder fitted on a pre-2003.
The caliper is taken apart and mated to a 1/4" steel bolt on mount.
Caliper becomes fixed so it can be used with the early floating disk.
This is my prefered way to go for pre2003 now but requires the steel adapter made.

Steve

Thanks for your input, I'm thinking about going this route. I found locally a raptor brake setup from pedal back to caliper, this would work on the floating rotor correct? And do you have any images on the brackets to hold the caliper and master cylinder? Would be really helpful

Yes, Raptor, Warrior, 2003+Blaster, Banshee and I believe YZF450 all use the same calipers and the master cylinders are very close. Warrior calipers sell cheap and work great. Hose lengths vary but all I have used so far work. Even the park brake is usable with these setups. Custom mounts have to be welded to the frame and the master cylinder shaft connect point on the brake lever itself has to be kept close as Larry mentioned.

The Yamaha rear caliper gets disassembled by unbolting the two big allen bolts, which are replaced by 5-10mm longer bolts. A 1/4" steel tab is bolted between the caliper halves and then welded to the carrier. I am going to be making one up in the next few weeks and will try to take pictures.