Advanced timing with high compression head

Blaster8821

Sep 4, 2014
I had Ken port and compress my head on my blaster this past February and was wondering if is still ok to advance the timing a little bit? I have been looking over the forum and have seen that advancing the timing about 2 degrees will give you a some extra horse power but that was with stock blaster motors. I want to make sure it will still work with a high compression/ported engine?

What is your compression at first of all?

Generally on a stock motor we recommend +4
With a head done most times recommended is stock, but a few people advance theirs.

When you advance it, and depending on your compression, you run the risk of pre-ignition (or detonation? someone help :))

Advancing the timing is not going to produce any more power, but what it will do is bring the power to hit harder in the mid range!

Excerpt fro Eric Gorr!

AFFECTS OF THE IGNITION TIMING

Here is how changes in the static ignition timing affects the power band of a Japanese dirt bike. Advancing the timing will make the power band hit harder in the mid range but fall flat on top end. Advancing the timing gives the flame front in the combustion chamber, adequate time to travel across the chamber to form a great pressure rise. The rapid pressure rise contributes to a power band's "Hit". In some cases the pressure rise can be so great that it causes an audible pinging noise from the engine. As the engine rpm increases, the pressure in the cylinder becomes so great that pumping losses occur to the piston. That is why engines with too much spark advance or too high of a compression ratio, run flat at high rpm.

Retarding the timing will make the power band smoother in the mid-range and give more top end over rev. When the spark fires closer to TDC, the pressure rise in the cylinder isn't as great. The emphasis is on gaining more degrees of retard at high rpm. This causes a shift of the heat from the cylinder to the pipe. This can prevent the piston from melting at high rpm, but the biggest benefit is how the heat affects the tuning in the pipe. When the temperature rises, the velocity of the waves in the pipe increases. At high rpm this can cause a closer synchronization between the returning compression wave and the piston speed. This effectively extends the rpm peak of the pipe.

Last edited:
I was planning on 1 or 2 degrees. I want more mid range power so that's why I want to change it.