Adapter for bigger carbs to stock airbox for under $7

Zwiser

May 25, 2010
Harrisburg,PA
Ok thought I'd make a DIY to convert your stock airbox boot into a bigger one, I am doing this one for a PWK 35 keihin carb so your sizes might be different. So first step go to lowes and in the plumbing section find a 1 1/4 inch nipple thats about 5 inches long

S5030237.jpg

S5030238.jpg

ok then look for a 2in X 1 1/2in Drain and Trap connector heres what it looks like

S5030233.jpg

S5030234.jpg

S5030235.jpg

S5030236.jpg

then connect the 1 1/4 in nipple to the air boot like so,

S5030241.jpg

then connect the drain and trap connector to the nipple coming out of the airboot

S5030242.jpg

S5030243.jpg

then connect your carb and your done thats how to make a adapter for a little under $7!!!I:I

pm me if your having trouble.

Reactions: BlasterPat
x2, try bolting it on the quad, you need to cut the boot back a bit in most cases, but you're on the right track!

DO NOT go that route. Carbs work on a venturi effect, as the air passes over the jet it draws fuel... This requires velocity. In going from a small diameter to a larger diameter you are decreasing that velocity. This will throw your jetting for a loop........

A 4 to 6 inch velocity stack with a pod filter that matches the carb diameter will perform better I think your adapter is creative and at higher Rpm would perform well but idle and mid range would suffer

ya it is a ok idea, but it seems like it is hinder performance badly with the going from like an inch to 2inch.
like said before, velocity will decrease.

a lot of guys cut the boot back and put a piece of pvc pipe in it with a hose clamp then reduce from the pipe to the carb. you want to go from a big opening to a smaller opening or you will mess you velocity all up like phrag said. it will run like chit.

whats the right size and would this work, i moved the pipe up into the carb so its past the 2in space kinda hard to explain so heres pics so you can figure it out

S5030247.jpg

S5030248.jpg

S5030249.jpg

S5030239.jpg