A Guide to fitting a YFZ 450 complete front suspension to a Blaster

Blaner

Your Friendly South African Ambassador
Mar 26, 2008
East London, South Africa
Hey guys, i recently decided a front suspension upgrade was necessary on my blaster and came across a complete YFZ450 front suspension on a local buy/sell website. The guy was selling the a arms and shocks. Tubes and bushes included but no grease caps. This wasn’t an issue as I just used the blaster grease caps which fit right onto the 450 a arms. I must add that these were off a 2005 YFZ, and my measurements to follow all came off a 2004 YFZ. If you use a new 450R, things will be very different as that bike has a whole new chassis etc.

The whole project which included a motor rebuild and a swingarm extension and Honda 400ex shock insertion took about 4 weeks. Since there is plenty of info around the site about motor rebuilds and rear suspension mods im not going to touch on that side but as there is much debate and difficulty around modding the front suspension and since i don’t think there is a complete post like this on this site I decided to do a fairly complete guide to fitting a YFZ450 front suspension to a blaster! I will be giving all my measurements in millimetres and metric units so you may need to do some converting if you decide to use this as a guideline when doing your own conversion! PLEASE NOTE that this is ONLY a guideline, a “get the picture” sort of thing and your own initiative, common sense and fathoming out will be necessary to do this properly

Now lets get under way with some basic things you need to know before undertaking this job. Firstly let it be known that this is a pretty tough job and you going to need some serious brain power and good arithmetic skills in the garage to make the necessary quick calculations when measuring up your new mounts, however, don’t be afraid! If you are fairly well equipped in your tool department and have some pretty good mechanical experience you will be fine, I wouldn’t really recommend you try this if you are not confident and are not too great with fabrication, if you managed your own custom extended swingarm you should get this right. You will also need some knowledge and skill on how to wield a welder , handle a hacksaw and grip a grinder You also going to need a drill press of sorts, but i suppose you could get away with using a hand drill, you will just need to be very accurate with that! This is a DIY job but its more like a DIYWSH (do it yourself with some help) so if you have a buddy who is well skilled in fabrication and the like, get him in on your project and have him help you.

Tools you will need: a GOOD hacksaw, some 18 and 24 tooth hacksaw blades, a welder, various drill bits up to 10mm, a drill press, an angle grinder, steel grinding and cutting disks, flap type sanding disks for the angle grinder 80 or 120 grit, a couple of “G”clamps, some vice grips (hand held type), a bench vice, a work bench, a bench grinder, tape measure, vernier calliper (digital will be best), 300mm steel rule, 150mm steel rule, a small hammer, 2x lengths of 10mm threaded rod (cut to 350mm), some bolts for the threaded rod (x8) A steel Scribe, a small steel engineers setsquare, a pencil, a permanent marker.

I can’t stress enough that accuracy and precision is VERY important in this job as drilling or welding your new custom mounts just a few mm’s out of line is going to be costly on your finished product. Your suspension needs to be symmetrical on left and right for the geometry to work. Settling for second best when you realise a measurement is wrong after youve tact a weld is just not going to work. Patience will get you far in this project. In many cases, having a bolt hole out of line just wont work and you will have to take it loose the weld in any case.

As I used the 450 suspension, I thought it apt that the geometry of my conversion should match a 450, i.e. the distance between the lower and upper a arm mounts and the distance between left and right mounts, front and back, shock angle etc, thus matching things such as caster and camber. Fortunately, i have access to an yfz450 so i measured up the 450 and applied the measurements to the blaster setup to make sure everything works as it does on the 450. I will include these measurements as i go so you can get a good idea if you decide to do this about what to measure and a ball-park figure as I assume every bike will be somewhat different.

In case you don’t know, the YFZ450 suspension WILL NOT FIT or bolt directly onto a stock blaster. It just doesn’t happen for a number of reasons.

1. Blasters have different sized a arms ball joints, 450s are both the same. (upper and lower)
2. The bottom a arms are wider from grease cap to grease cap (front to back) than blasters hence they don’t fit into those mounting boxes on the frame
3. The 450 top a arms are also wider grease cap to grease cap and don’t fit between the blaster mounts on the frame.
4. The 450 shock is much longer than the blaster shocks and therefore the top mounts on the blaster frame are in the wrong place.

So basically, you need to make new mounts for everything! Sounds intimidating – and it is - but there is a way!

Once you have the YFZ a arms and shocks, you are also going to need to find yourself a pair of spindles. Now you CANT use the stock blaster spindles as the one ball joint socket is a different size whereas both the upper and lower ball joints on the 450 are the same size. Ideally, it would be best to use spindles from a YFZ450, but in my case i found they tend to be a bit more expensive than spindles from any of the other Yamaha quads so at first I located a pair from a banshee. However i soon realised these will not work as although the ball joint sockets are a match for the 450 a arm ball joints, the angle at which the sockets are located results in the ball joints being under too much tension and are pushed skew. I scrapped that idea and found a nice set of Raptor 660 spindles! Aha! These work perfectly, so, in my books, find yourself either 450 or 660 spindles for the job.

spares.jpg

Although this Pic has the rear shock in, I didn’t get that from the guy, I used a 400ex shock for that.

While I was at it I got a set of Banshee callipers and a master cylinder as i decided to switch from the old drums to hydro’s. If your blaster is post 2003, you can use your same callipers and this will save you a bit of time and money!

One other thing you will need is a pair of YFZ450 tie rods. This is because once the 450 stuff is mounted, your blaster will be quite a bit wider than stock and the blaster tie rods are about 85mm too short! You can use your blaster tie rod ball joints here so you only need to get the actual tie rod. Once you have them, unscrew the ball joints from the blaster tie rods and put them into the 450 tie rods. Note that these things have a reverse thread on one side so remember that when you can’t unscrew them and end up stripping the nut!

Right, now that you have all the bits, you need to strip your blaster and throw that stuff as far away as possible, before you do though, just lay out the a arms and shocks and compare them to the 450 kit, this will serve as an inspiring moment as you are blown away by the shear “betterness” of your new kit compared to the crusty bits that came off your blaster, you will now understand why you used to rattle your arms off going as fast as possible trying to keep up with your buddy on his 450. Doing this will help you visualise the changes that need to be made and will give you a better understanding of what needs to be done.

At some point you need to get stuck into your frame with a grinder and a cutting disk to remove all your old a arm mounts. But just check the new arms against the old mounts to get the idea as well before you cut them off.

Here is a list of the measurements of the stock blaster suspension geometry: (all measurements taken centre to centre of bolt holes)
Here is how to measure centre to centre distances:

MeasuringTechniquescopy.jpg

BLASTER:
• Top A Arm: 175mm apart horizontally
• Bottom A Arm: 145mm apart horizontally
• Setback between top and bottom arms: 35mm
• Top shock mounts 200mm apart horizontally
(The setback is the distance the top a arm bracket sits behind the bottom a arms bracket This is critical to your caster. – SEE PIC BELOW)
• Vertical Distance between top and bottom mounts: Didnt take note, irrelevant.

YFZ 450:
• Top A Arm: 160mm apart horizontally
• Bottom A Arm: 140mm apart horizontally
• Setback between top and bottom arms: 25mm
• Top shock mounts 300mm apart horizontally

(the setback is the distance the top a arm bracket sits behind the bottom a arms bracket .This is critical to your caster.)
• Vertical Distance between top and bottom mounts: 145mm
**All Bolts are 10mm 1.25mm pitch thread. Both blaster and 450.

Setbackandheightcopy.jpg

Order of the Procedure:
The whole project depends on where you start. Your final position of your top a arm rear mount is dependent on your mounting position at the front. Which is dependent on TWO things, your setback from the bottom a arm mounts, and your height from your bottom a arm mounts, thus it makes sense that the bottom is the place to start! Just as a note, pay careful to the setback as mentioned earlier as this is fundamental to the caster. If the top a arm is ahead of the bottom, the top ball joint will also be ahead and thus wont allow the wheel to self centralize like a shopping trolley and will make the bike a real pain to drive!

Ok, so we start at the bottom, but here too, the rear mounts of the bottom a arms are completely dependent of the fronts position as the arm is a fixed width. So if you work from the back, chances are you will end up having the front mount hanging out in front of the bike and will be awkward to work with, so to avoid this, we start the whole project with the front mount of the bottom a arm.

Your next step is where things start to get interesting. The first point at which to start is with the bottom a arm mounts. If you hold the 450 arm against the blaster mounting point you will notice the new arm is much wider (front to back). You need to make new mounts for the 450 arm.

The bottom Mounts:
I used 8x30mm flat bar for this part. The horizontal distance between the stock mount holes is 145mm. REMEMBER to measure from centre to centre of the holes. This is done by measuring from the outside edge of the first hole to the inside edge of the second hole. I.e. PICTURE! Do this with the vernier calliper. Know how to do this, as this principle is fundamental in your project, if you get it wrong and measure from outside to outside everything will be very wrong! Pay attention when measuring, it is CRUCIAL! Now the distance between the mount holes on a 450 is 140mm. This is closer together than the stock blaster which is 145mm so now what? Well this is where the compromise comes in. The only solution to this is to make your new mount holes a bit wider than the stock 450.
But before you get carried away, there is another VERY important aspect we need to make clear in terms of keeping the geometry of the 450. If you notice the measurements mentioned earlier,

I.e.:
BLASTER:
• Top A Arm: 175mm apart horizontally
• Bottom A Arm: 145mm apart horizontally
• Setback between top and bottom arms: 35mm
• Vertical Distance between top and bottom mounts: Didn’t take note, irrelevant.

YFZ 450:
• Top A Arm: 160mm apart horizontally
• Bottom A Arm: 140mm apart horizontally
• Setback between top and bottom arms: 25mm
• Vertical Distance between top and bottom mounts: 145mm

You will notice that the DIFFERENCE between the 450’s top arm distance and the bottom arm distance is 20mm, while the blasters is 30mm.
Therefore in order to keep the 450 geometry, we need to keep this ratio between the top and bottom mounts the same, i.e. 20mm.

With this in mind, we look at the maximum or closest distance we can mount the arms to the blaster frame by looking at the widest point, which in this case is 175mm at the top a arm of the stock blaster. Therefore, we have a catch! If you make the bottom mounts and drill holes at say, 145mm apart and weld them on, your top mounts are not going to work as you won’t be able to keep the ration of 20mm between top and bottom! (145mm + 20mm = 165mm and our closest distance we can go is 175mm) that would mess up the whole thing and the bike would turn out a mess with very bad camber.

So a solution – the compromise as promised. Ideally, you want your arms mounted as close together as possible, it allows for maximum suspension travel and agility, look at the new 450R, the a arms are right together. Think about a Big bird with wide body and tiny short wings, its not going to fly very well...but think of a thin, elongated bird with long wings, much more agile and suitable! – same principle with a quad, that is why these things below are a waste of time... You get the width, but at the cost of handling performance...What you really want is longer arms mounted closer together leaving you with a wide stance but still giving good travel!

Wid_Blstr_5.jpg
NOT COOL

So the solution, eventually! In order to keep the ratio of 20mm the same, we need to look at the minimum top vertical distance and subtract 20mm to give us the minimum distance our bottom arms can be mounted. This leaves us with 175mm + 2mm for clearance purposes = 177mm for the top a arms vertical distance and 177mm – 20mm = 157mm for the bottom vertical distance! As in the pic below. The only thing here is that the bike will end up 17mm wider than a stock 450.

FrontEndDetailcopy.jpg

BottomMountscopy.jpg

As i mentioned, i used 8x30mm steel bar for the bottom mounts, it is a bit overkill and you could probably get away with using thinner stuff to save a bit of weight!, you will notice i marked them 1 – 4 in the above picture, that is from front to back respectively. The Bolt holes are 157mm apart from centre to centre but when you cut the lengths, remember to make them long enough to hold a grease cap of 32mm diameter. That means from the centre of the bolt, add 5mm for half the bolt hole and then 16mm for half the grease cap. Do this on either end and the bar will be long enough. I.e. 157mm + 5mm + 5mm + 16mm+16mm =199, or 200mm to be round, Once you have cut the bars (x4) find the centres of them all. I suggest clamping them all together and cutting and grinding to the correct length so they are all 100% the same length, mark the centres all together too. Use a G clamp. Once you have the centres, measure 157 /2=78.5mm left and right from the centre line and scribe it nicely using a set square. You will now have the line upon which you will drill the holes, but you still need the Y axis position. This one is a bit more tricky and is probably the most inaccurate part of the whole procedure. You want the new brackets to fit nicely onto the half rounds of the frame that are present on a blaster and if you put the flat bar you have just cut on the tubes they lie above the level of the two boxes on the frame that the old arms fitted into. Put one in front of each box and one behind each box. While they standing above the boxes, measure how high they stand above the boxes. So, we want them to fit over the round tubes and lie flush with the boxes, so, with a vernier calliper, measure the outside distance of the two tubes running parallel to each other. I’m uncertain of the measurement as i didn’t write that one down. Anyway, follow the same procedure as for the previous scribe line by halving the measurement and scribing that distance on either side of the centre line. But, also measure the thickness of the frame, i think it is 27mm, depends on how think your paint is. Half that and measure the half distance in toward the centre line from the line you just scribed, this will mark the centre of the tubes of the frame. Now along those centre of tube lines, mark off the distance that the bars stood above the boxes. You must file up until that line. Get hold of a good round file and start filing! Use a grinder if you want just do it carefully. Remember to clamp all the brackets together while filing to keep them all the same! VERY NB that they are all the same or else they will sit in different positions on the frame...not cool. See the pic above to see the semi circles i filed on the brackets. Ok, very confusing. Bottom line is that the semi circles you must file on the bars must be wide and deep enough to allow the bars to rest over the frame and settle at the same height as the existing a arm mount boxes on your blaster at the same time not letting the semi circles to move you off centre! Watch out for this.

Once you have done that, find the centre of the bars along the vertical scribe line (157mm line) and mark it, it may have changed due to the filing, just make sure you can still fit in a 32mm grease cap without it hitting your frame. The next step is to punch the marks where the two lines intersect and drill them these holes will be your bottom a arm bolt holes. I drilled them all clamped together as it ensured all the bolt holes are in the exact same places! This is obviously very important! Start the drilling with a small bit, 6mm and go up in sequence to 8mm and finally 10mm. This should leave you with 4x flat bars with holes all in the same place and with identical cut outs at the bottom. You can now place them on your frame to see how it looks, Clamp them in place with G clamps as seen in above pic. Once its all clamped up, place the a arm in position. You will notice that the arm doesn’t fit, don’t stress, its ok! We need spacers!

At this point it would be wise to use a length of threaded rod with some nuts, push the rod through each arm while going through all the brackets. Put the nuts on the inside after youve gone through the first block. Position the arm against the front bracket which is pressed tightly to the front of the front box. Measure the gap at the back of the front box to the end of the front leg of the arm (sounds weird hey?) and you will see that you will need a 5mm spacer in there for it to be a tight fit between grease cap and bracket.

With the arm still pushed up against the front, do the same for the back, We want to arm as far forward as possible, so the back will fall into line dependant on the front position. You should measure a gap of 5mm on bracket 3 and notice the arm extends beyond the end of the back box, so a different spacer is required for bracket 4. SEE PIC! This is actually easier than it sounds, once you have it in front of you, it will all make sense.
Next step is to cut all you spacer bits with a hacksaw and then WELD them onto your brackets! Make sure they are square! Once welded, put them under the drill press and drill them out following the hole you just drilled through the main bracket. Clamp up the brackets with spacers in a mock up fashion and test the a arm, it should go in snugly! And there we have your bottom mounts!

Blaster006.jpg

Blaster013.jpg

Blaster017.jpg

Another trick i used was to mark the centres of the two boxes. So when you clamp up the brackets, line the centre lines of each bracket with the centre line of the boxes, then slip in the threaded rod and make sure it can move in and out freely, if it doesn’t, you need to correct the bracket by filing the problematic brackets half rounds to suit. DONT make your bolt holes bigger as a quick fix! If you were accurate enough, it should all line up. Try tapping the bracket which is out of line with a hammer once clamped to try and slide it into line. If that doesn’t work, correct your filing.

Once you are happy with the bottom, bolt it up while clamped, DONT weld it to the frame yet! Now you are ready to start with the top mounts.
Overall, the distance from the inner face of the front mount to the inner face of the back mount should be 258mm.

Blaster038.jpg

This the stock blaster a arm box at the front bottom. You will notice I had to file the grease nipple cut out quite drastically to get the 450 grease nipples to swing passed when the arm is moved. Do this!

Last edited:
The Top Front Mount:
As I mentioned, the position of your top front mounts is all dependant on your bottom mounts, which you have now done and the setback value measured off the 450. This setback is 25mm as opposed to the blasters 35mm. as discussed, this will affect your caster so beware. I didn’t take any pics of this mount when it was off, I forgot, but you can make it out from other pics, so here goes.

I used 5mm x 40mm steel bar here. Cut a length that is about 225mm long, it needs to be bent in a right angle shape like the pic below in order to get the setback value incorporated into your setup. So first, find the centre, mark it same as before on the bottom. Now you only want to bend it after it has cleared the frame so it will fit around the frame tubes as in the pic. So measure the width of the frame just below the point where the other frame tube is welded in. see pic! It is about 125mm, this will vary with bikes and paint and so on. So check yours, don’t use mine! Now half 125mm = 62.5mm measure and mark this off on each side from the centre line. Now leave a small gap, about 2-3mm and make another scribe line on each side (the gap of for the cut and bend.) now mark off another 50mm on each side, this is your setback plane.

Now clamp the bar in the vice (the bar is still straight at this stage, just marked off) use your hacksaw and cut on the marks 62.5mm from centre. DO NOT cut all the way through, just a little to allow it to bend easily! Now place the bar in the vice in the best position to bend it and get a shifting spanner to bend the bar with. Now bend the bar on the cuts. Just pay attention to bend the correct way or else you will end up with a piece of wasted metal. If you study the pic, you will get the idea. You are looking for a 3 sided box pattern.. Test fit to your blaster frame, if it doesn’t fit, you may have to redo this as I did. Don’t worry about the vertical placement just yet, that comes shortly. Once you get that right, and are sure the bends are 100% squared up with your set square, cut two pieces of the same bar but about 40mm wide, so they are basically 40mm by 40mm. square this with a file in the vice and then take your 3 sided box and from the front, measure off 25mm for your setback. Remember its from the outside of the frame tubes to the inside face of the 40x40 square you are working with! ie. Don’t forget about the metal thickness in your calculations or you may end up with things 4-5mm to big or too small Mark this carefully. Once this is done find a way to clamp the 40x40mm pieces at right angles to the box and tack them on with a welder. While you at it, weld up the cut/bend line you worked with earlier. ONLY WELD if you are SURE everything is square and fits perfectly. Now you will have a funny looking thing that has a step pattern, as in the pic with extra metal behind the mounting plane. Now measure the horizontal distance of 177mm, first find the centre of the bracket and half the 177mm = 88.5mm and mark this on the 40x40 piece you welded onto the bracket each side of the centre line. Double check this measurement, follow the drilling procedure discussed in bottom mounts section. You will now have the front bracket with holes!

Blaster037.jpg

Now for the vertical placement of this bracket. You want the bolt hole of the upper front mount to be 145mm up front the bottom mount holes. To measure this use the centre to centre method and measure at the angle the two mounts dictates. (Clamp the top mount onto the frame with a G-clamp) tap the clamped bracket with a small hammer to move it up or down till its in the correct position. Just remember to keep it square!

FrontEndDetailcopy.jpg

Once you are happy with the height, clamp it up but don’t weld yet, you will notice I made a triangular gusset on each side for support between the top mount and the frame. Cut some wedges to do this, no big deal, accuracy is not NB here 

Once you are HAPPY and the measurements don’t lie, you may tack this top bracket to the frame, I had to redo this as it didn’t quite come out right the first time.

And that should sort out your front top mounts!

Rear Top Mounts
The rear top mounts had me scratching my head for a very long time, this the tough guy in the pack of mounts that just doesn’t obey rules. But this method worked for me and turned out well. I tried a few other methods, using independent mounts etc. but it worked best with a common mount system.

Reartopmountcopy.jpg

RearTopmountLoosecopy.jpg

I used 5 x 35mm steel bar here. I am unsure of the length to which I cut it but it should be around 220mm long. Now take this flat bar and lay it flat over the frame at the back of where the a arms will go. Find the centre as usual before you do anything with it and scribe it. Now place the bar over the frame and using a ruler, slide the bar along until the back edge of it is 222mm from the inside edge of the front mount you just made. Take note of the frames taper here, between the front and back and realise you can’t use the frame as a straight line edge for anything as it is tapered! See Pic!

Now where the flat bar rests over the frame, mark the middle of this point and measure to be sure left and right is even. Now take the bar out and cut the bar a little way as you did for the front mount – not all the way through. Now bend as in the procedure for the front. DO NOT bend 90degrees, rather about 30-40 degrees from the horizontal. I do not have this exact angle, I didn’t use it when making up the bar.

Cut some pieces of 5x40mm flat bar and clamp them to the back of the bent flat bar (is still called flat bar if its bent?) do this at 90 to the flat bar, as in the pic. Place the bar back on the frame and slide it to the position of 222mm from the front. Adjust the angle of these little pieces so that they bend inwards a little bit. If you go too much you woulnt be able to remove the unit as the angle will prevent the bars from coming off the frame. If you notice the second pic of the back top mounts, you will see this slight ‘unsquareness’ this is done in order to allow the grease caps to have a full surface to be backed up against. Without doing this, the grease caps tend to stick out the sides once you have drilled the holes. So, position these pieces carefully, its hard to explain but your initiative should fill in the blanks…remove the bar with the pieces clamped onto it and then mark off the horizontal distance between the bolt holes, i.e.: 177mm. Mark and drill as before.

Now you back bracket can be placed onto the frame and moved into position. The a arm can now be inserted, but one tip is to place a washer inside between the mount and the a arm. This just gives clearance so that the arm will still fit after you have welded. Im talking about heat expansion and warpage etc that may result from welding. do this on each side. Make sure the bolt can go through both the front and back mount! If it doesn’t, your holes are out of line. Double check the 177mm horizontal distance front and back! You should now manage to see an angle between the a arms and the frame. This is because the arm is square but the frame is tapered!

Blaster101.jpg

Once you are happy you have the 121mm and the washer in place, clamp the back mount onto the frame and remove the a arms. You can now weld the bracket onto the frame.

Shock Mounts:
Here I used 5x40x340mm (317mm centre to centre)flat bar. Pretty simple, just cut it. BUT two pieces! Front and back of shocks! Now your bolt holes are 10mm and the bar is 40mm wide. So mark the centre, then mark off 10mm increments i.e., break the bar into four sections. You can see this on the pic below. Once you have a line 10mm from the edge of the bar, (either edge) find the centre of the length of the bar, i.e.: 340mm/2 = 170mm. Mark this and then take the stock blaster shock mount horizontal distance apart which is 200mm. therefore, 200mm/2 = 100mm left and right of the centre line. Mark that. Now make a punch mark on the intersection of the 10mm line and the 100mm line. Drill these out to 10mm (do both bars at once.) do this for both ends left and right. These are now your OLD shock mounts, This should now bolt onto your frame using the stock shock holes and bolts on the frame. Now on the 30mm mark from the top, (or 10mm from the bottom) measure off 317mm/2 = 158.5mm left and right of the centre of the length of the bar. The stock 450 has top shock mounts 300mm apart but because out a arms are mounted 17mm wider than stock because of the blasters frame restrictions as discussed earlier, we have to carry this “ratio” through on everything in order to get the shock angle correct in relation to the a arms for proper functioning. Drill out these holes too. They are you new shock mounts!

ShockMountscopy.jpg

I came up with this 20mm height gap between mounting holes by working with ground clearance and also with the distance between the shock mount and the upper front a arm bolt on the stock 450. This measurement is 155mm which can be seen on the pic below. And so I kept this measurement and applied it to the blaster. For this reason, I used the 40mm flat bar and not 30mm as there would not be enough metal! Take my word for it here, this is correct, you can work it out yourself but be very careful it is a little confusing!

Nearfinishedcopy.jpg

Blaster001.jpg

Once have done this, you can shape the shock mount bars and round them off as I did. I cut out the piece connecting them once it was welded for looks but it would be stronger if it was left in there. The pics tell the story, not much more explaining I can do there, I did add a gusset for strength as you can see in the pics.

Finishedcopy.jpg

Finishedfrontendcopy.jpg

And there you have it! Check your camber, caster and set the toe, clean up with a grinder, sand and spray.

Be warned again, you have to cut off the stock blaster mounts to do this mod so if you make a stuff up, you bike is ruined for ever and you will have to wheelie on the back wheels continually whenever you ride unless you redo it all and correct, so PLEASE only undertake this mod if you know the risks and complications and are CAPABLE of doing the job. The results are amazing and worth every hour I spent doing this. Overall, the bike is 17mm wider than a stock yfz450 if you’ve read this story, you will know why! Good luck and I hope this helps someone somewhere along the way, if not, at least it answers questions about installing the yfz450 suspension onto a blaster, it CAN be done but will take a while and is VERY complicated! As I mentioned, your own initiative, brain power, common sense and all round mechanical mindset will be necessary to do this and you cannot just rely on my measurements to get it right. It is also impossible to put everything I did into words, there is just to much. You need to figure out as you go. Feel free to ask questions!

hope you guys enjoy!

that right there is the most in depth, intense write up ever !!!!!!
if i didn't just give you reps for makin me laugh, you'd be gettin max reps for this !!!
awsome job and write up bro

haha thanks guys, well some of you may remember i did this about 7 months ago in july last year, and i have been pondering how to do a report on it...it is impossible to put it all down but ive done the best i can. i thought it maybe could be a sticky or something so that guys asking about the 450 setup (which is quite often) could have some educating...what you chaps think?

I didn't go that route because I didn't want to have to cut all my blaster mounts off but you did an excellent job mounting the suspension and a damn good job recording all of your measurements and putting it in a readable format.

yes, it was a big step, cutting it all off, no turning back! but i kind of reached the limit of the blaster in terms of its handling and it was starting to restrict my riding, i looked into getting a banshee but because of the poor resale value of blasters here in SA my dad, my brother and I decided to rather max out the blaster and see what we could get out of it. It seems to be working, it feels and looks like a bigger bike coupled with the extended swinger and 400ex shock. im very happy with it

just wondering, did you check wheel travel without the shocks on?
to make sure there isn't any binding of the ball joints?
how is the bump steer?

Hey Shee, yes i did check wheel travel, thats why i had to grind the grease nipple clearance gap. ball joints are fine, the banshee ones didnt work, they were at too much of an angle and would have been stressed when the shocks compressed.

Bump steer hasnt been an issue, havent really noticed anything. overall the bike is much sharper in the front, it turns in much crisper and has less understeer. it feels lighter

Reactions: Zwiser
I will have to take time to read all of this. You went about this totally different than those that have tried it on Banshee's. It's a love/hate on the Banshee. Maybe cause they took a too simplistic approach by cutting lower arms and adding a spacer. Probably ask questions later. Good job on mad fab skills!!

Dude , serious props to you , that was done with some major serial killer dedication .
I'm just glad that my ASR's bolted right up and are long travel cause if I tried to do all that , I would have tossed it all in the dumpster on day 2 !!!

that is one mean write-up? You should leave your studies and become a teacher!!!! But i still wouldn't try it!
Nicely done!!!

I will have to take time to read all of this. You went about this totally different than those that have tried it on Banshee's. It's a love/hate on the Banshee. Maybe cause they took a too simplistic approach by cutting lower arms and adding a spacer. Probably ask questions later. Good job on mad fab skills!!

yes, instead of cutting a arms, (considered it) decided to rather box the frame and add spacers to the frame instead of to the arms