98 yamaha blaster worth the investment?

Dutchoven1986

May 28, 2017
I have a 98 yamaha blaster that runs needs a little work, but thinking is it worth putting some money into it. Under 1,000. Or is it not worth it. Upgrade to something newer and add on to that. Just not sure how much 1,00 will take me. I love riding fast and mainly on trails. Please let me know your thoughts.

From what I have come to see, Blasters are only for a certain audience. They are not the most well rounded quads but are decent quads for the people that they are geared towards.

They are small, lightweight, simple to work on quads. They have some good pep as does every 2 stroke but not the fastest quad you're going to find. I find them to be very good trail quads because they are small and lightweight. You can whip them around everywhere and if you happen to find mud that's too much for it, you can simply just lift it right out with the help of a buddy.

$1000 can get you a decent blaster. Around $600 you can get a used pipe, some good reeds, cylinder porting, and head machining (see Ken O'Connor Racing for the machine work. He's the man when it comes to Blasters and very reasonable prices). Those four things along with re-jetting your carb for the work done will get your buddies on 400s wondering how such a small quad is keeping up (and passing if you're a good rider). After that, the best way to get faster is with suspension and that's gonna cost. Best to find something used and get revalved if you are on a budget but even that's gonna cost you a good amount.

Ultimately its whatever you are more into. Do you want a 4 stroke that has power everywhere and more well rounded but if it breaks down then you gotta spend a lot of money and time to fix or do you like the riding style of a 2 stroke that is more technical and peppy but easier maintenance? You can typically find Blasters pretty cheap but when you put money into one, you usually won't get it back when you sell it. So if you plan on putting a lot of money in it, you better get your money's worth out of using it because you won't when you go to sell it. I'm keeping mine forever so I don't mind all the money I've put in it.

Blasters are not for everyone but perfect for some.

Got a 4 stroke, and a blaster, they both have power, they both run good and they both eat dollars ! If you play it cost. Setting still cost, but it's no fun, put a couple dollars towards having fun , it sure beats setting still. Peace✌️

Reactions: 79 bronco
From what I have come to see, Blasters are only for a certain audience. They are not the most well rounded quads but are decent quads for the people that they are geared towards.

They are small, lightweight, simple to work on quads. They have some good pep as does every 2 stroke but not the fastest quad you're going to find. I find them to be very good trail quads because they are small and lightweight. You can whip them around everywhere and if you happen to find mud that's too much for it, you can simply just lift it right out with the help of a buddy.

$1000 can get you a decent blaster. Around $600 you can get a used pipe, some good reeds, cylinder porting, and head machining (see Ken O'Connor Racing for the machine work. He's the man when it comes to Blasters and very reasonable prices). Those four things along with re-jetting your carb for the work done will get your buddies on 400s wondering how such a small quad is keeping up (and passing if you're a good rider). After that, the best way to get faster is with suspension and that's gonna cost. Best to find something used and get revalved if you are on a budget but even that's gonna cost you a good amount.

Ultimately its whatever you are more into. Do you want a 4 stroke that has power everywhere and more well rounded but if it breaks down then you gotta spend a lot of money and time to fix or do you like the riding style of a 2 stroke that is more technical and peppy but easier maintenance? You can typically find Blasters pretty cheap but when you put money into one, you usually won't get it back when you sell it. So if you plan on putting a lot of money in it, you better get your money's worth out of using it because you won't when you go to sell it. I'm keeping mine forever so I don't mind all the money I've put in it.

Blasters are not for everyone but perfect for some.

Really appreciate your response. Great information. I do plan on keeping it forever. Lol probably hand down to my kids when they are ready. Im really excited to head down this journey. Something different for me. What will a 3mm stroker do and what does it mean when you guys refer to things like +2 +3 +4 ect. I got an idea but just dont want to be wrong.

Mine is a 240 big bore with a 3mm stroker. The +3 means that it adds 3mm to the stroke (1.5mm more up and 1.5mm more down). A +3 stroke crank can give it some more grunt but really needs the cylinder ported for the extra stroke to show any real improvement. It will just be minimal without a port. A +3 stroke crank and a port to match will really wake up what some people would call a dull blaster. You would also want an aftermarket pipe and a rejet would be essential and then you would have a fairly powerful blaster. Also some good reeds and possibly remove the lid on the air filter box would top it off nice for good air flow in.

Back to the subject of the strokers though. Vito's makes a +3 crank and hot rods makes a +4. Obviously the +4 would be the most added stroke but the difference is minimal and the +4 would require case trenching (the crank case is only so big that a +4 crank does not fit so they grind material off the inside of the case). This is why a +3 I feel is more common because it fits without trenching. The +3 does require a very small amount be ground off the edges where the rod comes up because of the slightly larger angle the rod comes up at due to the larger stroke. The rod would make contact if you didn't. But this is something simple and only a small amount comes off so anyone with a dremel can do it easily.