98 blaster, hard to start and if and when running falls flat past 2nd gear.

Blaster45764

Apr 16, 2017
I have a 98 blaster, love the quad but it is testing my loyalty. It has a fmf gold fatty pipe and a racing carb now (I changed it from the stock in hopes it would solve my problem) so I fouled a couple plugs after changing the coil, (thank you to the guys who helped me with that.) which was the reason it stopped running last month. After the 2nd plugged fouled out (cheap oil is taking the blame for the plugs, lesson learned) my 16 year old son put a bosch platinum duel prong plug in it and claims that it ran better than ever, it fouled as well and was the last of the cheap oil gas mix. so I bought yamalube fresh gas and a new plug only instead of using the br8es that I normally use, I switched to a br7es so it will burn a little hotter, but not damage the motor. I was always told the duel pronged plugs burn to hot and will burn a hole in the piston. With high hopes and money spent I gassed up and was ready to go. This is what happened it took 20+ kicks to get it started (used to take a half a kick) once started it does not want to stay running and bogs down when giving it gas, and when I shift into 3rd and the power bands come in it falls flat. I cleaned the original carb adjusted the jets nothing helped, that's when I changed the carb to the racing carb hoping that would fix it, but it didn't change anything. I have good spark and seem to get gas too the plug. I don't have a clue as to what the problem is. it has no electrical except what it needs to run and a headlight. coil is new, stator is maybe a year and a half old (I have good spark) what am I missing? sorry this is long winded but I thought the more info the better. I thank whomever in advance for any help you offer.

Just to test remove air box cover then see how it runs.better= too rich worse= too lean pretty simple !

Also crankseal failure -clutch side engine could be burning trans oil! Be sure to look a level indicator! ✌️Peace

First thanks for the advice. The reeds look pretty good, were replaced maybe 50 hours ago. I am not completely sure I know what the tors are, not sure I know how I made it this far through life and never dealt with them either. The oil I changed a couple months back, and with the oil drained the oil level lens thing was black enough to not know whether oil was in there or not, so I did a little research, found out how much oil I needed and finished the oil change, all was good. This all seems to have started when I put a FMF gold fatty pipe on it, which came off of a part's bike I bought to fix mine after it was stolen. I cant get the thing to stay running long enough to tell whether the air box thing would make a difference. I hope that helps, thanks again in advance.

Side note:
I found that when I back the idle screw out about 6-8 turns somewhere around halfway out, it will stay running longer, maybe a minute, minute and a half but acts like it is being choked out. I have to work very hard to get it to start, but it will start....sorta.

br8 or 9 plug. 7 is too hot. What are your current jets at and what racing carb did you purchase? Have you checked compression for piece of mind?

update time, after a lot of tearing apart and putting back together I cant find anything that is a solid suspect. Mr. Tooloose I agree with your assessment and think that it is flooding itself out. I took the advise duelstroke gave and went back to the original br8es plug and have been successful in getting it to start and stay running, as long as you keep your thumb on the throttle and it still sounds just a bit off but it is not falling flat when I get into the gears but its not quite right either. I think I'm going to do a bit more research and put new jets in the carb since it was a carb that I toke off the parts bike I bought, and who knows what jets are in there and I think that all will be good. so a big thank you to everyone that helped me with this.

Your very welcome ! Send your carb to oconor racing . I know by what everyone here says Ken will put it on the money ✌️Peace