97 blaster idle problem

Joeyblastin

Feb 6, 2017
Ok so having some issues with my blaster. Runs fine, goes thru all the gears fine etc. but it just does not want to idle. Every time it just slowly dies down and stalls.

Cleaned the carb, helped somewhat, but not really because it's still stalling.

Also, I noticed I'm burning case oil. I haven't found anywhere that it's leaking from so I could only assume it's burning it. I'm sure these two issues are related so I just wanna figure out where I should start. Really trying to avoid splitting cases, as I already have multiple projects going on. I bought the blaster to ride until I got the other bikes done. ‍♂️ Any help is much appreciated!!!

If you are loosing gear oil you may have a leaky crankshaft oil seal on the gear side.

Do an air leak test to see if indeed the seal is leaky.

The seals can be replaced without having to split the cases,.

The idle may be hard to set if the seal is leaking.

As for the idle set as follows..

Idle speed adjusting.
Set float level, make sure that all jets are clean and fuel flows freely from the float bowl drain
when the screw is cracked open.
Start with air screw 1.5 turns out.
Set idle screw so that it has some sort of idle. With TORS it is the big screw under seat on top of
unit. With no TORS is is the brass screw midway down carb body.
Warm up motor and then set idle screw for a faster idle, 2000rpm+
Adjust air screw either way to get the fastest idle.
Adjust air screw a little at a time leaving 10 secs or until the motor responds.
Re adjust idle screw for desired idle .
if the air screw ends up being more than 2 1/2 turns out the pi;]lot is too big.
if the air screw is less than 1/2 a turn out the pilot is too small