400EX Shocks

Markblaster

Custom blaster
Dec 6, 2015
Hi all. Got a puzzle for you. I have 2 400EX rear shocks and they are slightly different. Anyone know why and what year the shocks are off? The shock on the right is the broken one that was sold to me as a 2008 model.

Sticker is different. One sticker is bolder. Sticker on left says: KV6 - 610, Sticker on right says: MBL - 610
DSCN3684_zpsow7oxdfa.jpg

Look the same.
DSCN3685_zpsyotvxm7c.jpg

Bump stops are different.
DSCN3683_zpscmwcbgtz.jpg

Bottom screws different.
DSCN3680_zpsc4salut3.jpg

DSCN3681_zpstgkqetwf.jpg

Thanks

IMO, one on left looks to have thicker wire on the spring. You'd have to measure with calipers and count the coils to determine which is higher rate.

Shouldn't really matter with those small differences. They should function the same with the exception that one might have a stiffer spring like Larry said. You will probably want the one with less of a spring rate since blasters are lighter than the 400ex.

Both springs are 11mm wire. And they have the same amount of coils. The shock on the right has the pre-load done up more so maybe that's what is making it look different.

Been looking on eBay and see that the 1999 to 2014 have the screw on both sides at the bottom like on the shock on the left in my photos.

I cannot find and photos on the one with the screw on one side.