+3 A arms or Flipped Fronts

DeJay1206

Sep 17, 2013
Leechburg, PA
Simple enough question. I could post this in my rebuild thread but decided to make a new thread for other members future reference.

I have a set of +3 a arms picked out on eBay. The chromoly alba set. They're a little over $200. What are the benefits to the a arms over flipped tires? The only one I can think of is replaceable tie rod ends and powder coating (since you can't powdercoat the stock arms). I definitely wanna powdercoat my frame so Im leaning towards the arms. Let's see what you guys say...

when you flip the rims you get a lot of bump steer. this is when your tire hits something it will jerk the handlebars. a-arms dont have that

go for ASR a-arms. much better in most peoples opinions on here and unmatched customer service. alba guy came on here once was a real pain

What year Blaster? 03-06 you will need to relocate the valve stem because it will hit the caliper. I could be wrong but I think there may be some short/stubby valve stems that will work though. Plus you have to consider bump steer. I do believe you could powder coat the stock a arms but you would need to replace the rubber boots on the ball joints.

flipping the rims, moves just the rim out past the centerline of the spindle pivot, that promotes bump steer.

+ a-arms move everything out, spindle and wheel, keeping the rim centered on the spindle, decreasing the chance of bump steer.

If your blaster has front disc brakes and you flip the rims, you kind of leave you disc a little more out in the open. But when you add wheel spacers with the flipped rims you leave you disc unprotected!

If you have the $$$ get the +3 A Arms.
I ran flipped rims with wheel spacers for years, on drum brakes.

Simple enough question. I could post this in my rebuild thread but decided to make a new thread for other members future reference.

IMO .. Off set wheels & spacers change the suspension geometry, put more load on ball joints & bearings and take more effort to steer .. Off set wheels, spacers and extended a-arms do not really change the geometry that causes bump steer .. no big deal, it's the common way to change the track on a Blaster .. a Diamond-J kit will change the geometry related to bump steer ..
If any of this is significant enough to matter depends on the rider and the budget .. if you have lotsa money, get the a-arms & good shocks