2000 Blaster Project

RobCBlaster

Mar 1, 2015
Hey guys! :) I thought I'd show you the blaster I'm working on! I'm new to blasters, and I understand that many people that have owned a blaster, have owned more than one! I'd love to get advice from you guys as this build progresses and would be more than happy to hear your feedback whether its good or bad!

So around 2 weeks ago, I traded my 1985 Ski-Doo Citation 250 for a 2000 Blaster. The guy had told me that the top end had recently been rebuilt, but the main bearing on the clutch side let go, and it had been sitting ever since. When he came it became very clear just how this machine had been treated. Dirt, Rust, Faded plastics, Grease.. It looked like a mess! But accepting that my machine was a lot older, and that id been looking for a project for some time, I took the trade.

Shortly after he pulled off with my sled, Me and my brother had the motor off of the blaster. We first took the head and cylinder off, and it appeared that the seller had been moderately truthful. The Piston and rings had very low use, rings still had plenty of life and piston still had the "first start" coating. However.. When the crank bearing went, something happened and it melted the piston slightly on the right side. Luckily, barely any damage was done to the cylinder (still standard bore) and I could get away with a slight hone. After that I turned my attention to the connecting rod which unfortunately had loads of side to side play, far from the couple thousandths of an inch tolerance for the thrust washers. Then for the main bearings, the supposed "only problem it had." :mad: When I took the flywheel cover off, to no surprise, a TON of play. So I split the cases and removed the crank. Then set off to my local bike shop to order some parts.

So by this time I was growing annoyed by the list of stuff my blaster needed. As a young kid, buying these parts isn't always easy. I work fast food, but only about 2-3 shifts a week. Here's a rough list of what my blaster needed: Rod kit, Crank Bearings and Seals, Piston and Rings, Tie rod end, Both front wheel bearings, Seal Kit, Gasket Kit, Air Filter, Spark Plug, Plug Cap, Loads of degreaser and the cost of the machine shop to take care of installing the rod kit and a hone. I also wanted the thing to look good, I knew it would work good when I was done, but I ride with my friends and no one wants to be the kid with the ugly bike. ;)

So I guess it sounds like I'm disappointed with my trade, but truthfully, I'm far from it. There was couple pluses to the blaster. It came with an fmf silencer, brand new itp holeshot tires, fresh chain and sprockets, elka suspension and motion pro twist throttle conversion. The thing is, I got a great deal on my old citation, by the time I traded, I had about $250 into it. I could sell my tires and turn a profit ;)

So I ordered my everything for my bottom end, as that was all I had the money to do. When it came i dropped my crank with the rod kit as well as the cylinder off to a local machine shop, where it still is right now. As I knew I had time before everything was done. I took my old faded plastics off, and started researching remedies for them.

After research, I decided I'd go over them with a heat gun. This worked much better than I expected, but didnt make them look brand new either. There is still a few stress marks, which I am okay with, as it is my first quad (usually own dirtbikes/sleds) I knew I was bound to scuff them up a little anyways! If you guys have any tips on getting rid of stress marks, let me know! :)

Heres what they looked like after the heat gun treatment:

Snapshot_20150301.JPG

Snapshot_20150301_2.JPG

So a lot better! Hoping to get a decent graphics kit for them as well.

Anyways I have a few questions now.. What are the benefits of wheel spacers for stability? What mods are most effective in terms of power gains and where can I buy a graphics kit?

So I hope you guys see I have alot of work ahead of me. (Frame painting, Cleaning, Engine Reassembly, Etc.) Let me know what you think! Cheers :D

Last edited by a moderator:
A wider stance will give you stability, less likely to tip over. You can widen the front just by simply flipping your front rims.

Don't get discouraged, sounds like you have a good plan going forward. The end result will be worth it.

Looks good and welcome. Having a plan is a plus, so you don't over spend. Although, being you can get any aftermarket part for these things, it's hard not to.

Appreciate the feedback guys! :) I think wheel spacers are in the near future! I want to mod it but also maintain reliability. Nothing to big, just subtle things here and there to make it better overall! Thanks :)

Also, any suggestions on what paint I should use for frame painting? I plan on using plenty of clear coat! I'm going with the original silver frame/blue plastics color scheme. :D

lookin good so far Rob !
Elka's ha, lets see 'em ?
could have been worth the trade by themselves :)

get yourself an FMF header pipe to match the silencer, a handful of new NGK B8ES plugs and 270 thru 300 main jets to plug chop with to confirm which is needed.
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/how-to-plug-chop.53237/

Also, any suggestions on what paint I should use for frame painting? I plan on using plenty of clear coat! I'm going with the original silver frame/blue plastics color scheme. :D

any automotive paint will work, and some dealers carry the factory epoxy frame paint in cans.

less is more !....the more coats you apply, the easier it chips off, 1-2 coats of each is enuf

Just checked my VIN to confirm this bike isn't stolen, as I dont have a title. All is good, and turns out its an 01'! :D

Got my crank back from the machine shop today, bought brake cleaner instead of degreaser (cheaper but works better) and have everything to seal up my bottom end. Now I'm faced with a question. Bore my cylinder (2 oversizes) or buy the complete cylinder kit and piston off of ebay. It would amount to about the same price, the only question I have is does anyone know the situation on the cheap ebay cylinder kits? The price almost seems too good to be true. :p

the only question I have is does anyone know the situation on the cheap ebay cylinder kits? The price almost seems too good to be true. :p

why waste all the bores left in your stock cylinder ?
the ebay kits are reported to need work before even installing them, yet we have reports of them still running afterwards.

just get your cylinder bored.

Well the partsdiscounter place SEEMS legit, emphasis on seems. Yeah I realize I could just bore it but itd come to 220 dollars for piston and rings and the bore, when I could get all that stuff (supposedly bolt-on) for 160. :/

i made this awhile back......
in my opinion they are all made by the same person with different advertising scheme.
the quality of the ''METAL''and attention to detail is what sets them apart.
if it is priced well below oem standards price then something has been compromised..
your choice but i believe it is a waste of money....even if you are going to pass it on to an unexpected buyero_O

i posted the link above about all the chatter about this same distributor...of all the same quality.

corners have been cut almost like buying lets say family dollar product appose to home depot product

try buying a cheap wheel bearing for your car and see what happenso_O opposed to a company with a good reputation. and quality standards in the industry

cylinder vostor 1.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah your better off sticking with the cylinder you got. No reason for overboring, only bore what is necessary to get it cleaned up. Boring does not add any significant power, its not worth wasting the cylinder. As said an fmf header pipe to go with the silencer will make a big difference, if it doesn't already have one.

I guess i'll stick with my stock cylinder! The machine shop said I should go with second overbore just to be safe. Will I have to make any significant jetting changes or anything due to a bigger bore? And yeah I'm on the hunt for a used fmf header for a reasonable price, power isn't really my biggest concern (yet), I just hope to have it running before the snow melts ;)

Itll be $80 to bore at my local machine shop, they do a good job but sometimes take a while.. Im gonna order the piston and rings tmrw.

So I guess its time for a little update on my blaster. I got the cylinder checked again by a machine shop and turns out it actually did need a bore. I went on the fact that it looked pretty good but I wanted to be sure and I'm definitely glad I got it checked out. I ordered .20 piston and rings today, and when they come in im dropping the cyl off to be bored. I was worried I was making too slow progress to have it going in time.. But theres a 30+ cm snowstorm on its way.. Gotta love Canada ;)

I guess I'm long overdue on an update for my 2000 (actually a 2001) Blaster build. Its been a while and a lot has gotten done. The engine complete with new rod kit, seal kit, crank bearings with oem seals, tdr performance reeds and .20 over vertex piston and rings is finished sitting in my garage. It was so tempting to be myself and chuck the new motor into the frame that had seen better days, but instead I decided to go all the way sense I`ve invested quite a lot already. I painted my stock expansion pipe gloss black for the sake of getting it going, but im on the market for a right bender.. (Please sell me one)

SO.. the frame has got painted silver, im buying a graphics kit, new bars (old ones were terribly bent), new tie rod ends, ball joints, wiring has redone with all new connections, chain rollers, front wheel bearings/seals and im positive there is more im forgetting.

Im less than a week away from mounting the engine and hearing it go for the first time.. which is exciting. I just hope I find out im a 4 wheel guy after only owning dirtbikes itd be cool to have something new. Part of the reasons cosmetics is big concern to me is because if it turns out 4 wheels isnt my thing, Itll have some resale/trade value.

Let me know what you think!!

Also will i feel underwhelmed by this blaster because im used to riding bikes with a lot of power. Over time I've learned that power isnt as important as fun, and ive heard blasters are a ton of that!. :)

Cheers