1988 LT80 low compression after rebuild

Brass on brass float valves should seal if in good condition or varnish free.

I have known them to seal back against 2-3 psi!

carb boot.jpg Could this be my problem?!?! Cracked carb to airbox boot. Wth...

Last edited:
Ok. Well I found that after cleaning the carb on assembly. Luckily I have an extra boot here, so I should know if the new head gasket has solved my compression issues shortly.

look for hairline fractures as well in the head/or cylinder:)
or even check to see if the head is warped/find a flatttttt surface:)

I just rebuilt my lt 50 and had a leaky head gasket. So I lapped the head and ordered a new gasket. I'm gonna use copper rtv spray to help seal it. My compression was 90 psi cold. These motors do run lower compression. I'm sure it will be higher once I fix the gasket and heat cycle the motor.

So she's all back together and compression is up to 120psi with new head gasket, BUT no success at getting it started. I have spark outside of the cylinder and even sprayed some starter fluid in there to see if I could get it to fire, but no luck. Any thoughts at where I should begin troubleshooting?

So she's all back together and compression is up to 120psi with new head gasket, BUT no success at getting it started. I have spark outside of the cylinder and even sprayed some starter fluid in there to see if I could get it to fire, but no luck. Any thoughts at where I should begin troubleshooting?
I had trouble starting mine, and I found the pilot jet was clogged.

Carb was cleaned yesterday and everything was clear. All the connections are good. It had great spark when I tested it....It is electric start and just turns over, sounds good, but doesn't attempt to start.
I am going to pull the reed valves out shortly to see what they look like. Not sure they would have anything to do with my starting problem, but I've never pulled them out so I figure it is worth a look...

So I finally got a sputter of life out of the lt just now, but nothing more. I feel like my issues are fuel related. I know gas is getting into the bowl, but not sure what goes on from there. Although I haven't had any luck with getting it to fire with starter fluid. Taking a break for a couple hours, sometimes I think it's best to walk away for a bit, plus I'm tired of taking the carb on and off....

So I finally got a sputter of life out of the lt just now, but nothing more. I feel like my issues are fuel related. I know gas is getting into the bowl, but not sure what goes on from there. Although I haven't had any luck with getting it to fire with starter fluid. Taking a break for a couple hours, sometimes I think it's best to walk away for a bit, plus I'm tired of taking the carb on and off....
How did you verify fuel getting into bowl?

The very first thing that you must do when you walk back to it, is to put the starter fluid back on the shelf.

It is not advisable to try to start it with fluid, it contains no lubricant.

Is there a possibility that is has too much fuel and is flooded, even starter fluid will not fire in a flooding situation.

The very first thing that you must do when you walk back to it, is to put the starter fluid back on the shelf.

It is not advisable to try to start it with fluid, it contains no lubricant.

Is there a possibility that is has too much fuel and is flooded, even starter fluid will not fire in a flooding situation.
That's why I was asking about the plug and the vacuum fed petcock. They are notorious for flooding because you can't put it in the off position. So when sitting they will flood out. And if your seat and needle aren't doing the job, it will never stop the flow or fuel. I would try pulling the plug and pulling the starter to see if fuel shoots out.