1-1/8" bars and throttle housing modification

Awk08

Administrator
Staff member
Technician
Jan 30, 2009
in my other thread i stated i did my homework on the outlaw 1 1/8" fat bars i bought
I got an "F" on that homework assignment, LOL

heres what i found, and a semi-remedy (i know not many are lookin to go to fatbars, but if this helps one person, mission accomplished)

all 1-1/8" bars that i could find use an 8 1/2" "control length",
incuding the outlaw racing bars i bought, pro tapers, renthals, tag metals, and the zeta's slick is using
thats the flat area where the grip, throttle and brake clamp mounts,
with hydro brakes and our "tors" throttle housings, < thats a problem

i did find that the trail tech "X" bars use a 9" control length, and i sure could use that extra 1/2", already ordered a set of mid bend atv in titanium color

so as i mocked everything up yesterday, i found the brake clamp was mounting where the bars started to bend down toward the clamp, which put the lever on an unacceptable angle

345htgl.jpg

here's the semi-remedy part...
this isn't the first time i've done this, i also did this on the black blasty to allow room for the grip, throttle, hydro brake clamp and bar mounted hand gaurds on a set of 7/8" pro tapers, so this extra large throttle "tors switch" area is a problem on those 7/8" bars to when trying to use certain handgaurds

i cut off the "tors switch" area of the throttle housing to give me more room..............

2zrdvs1.jpg

30hyhzk.jpg

i glued pieces of rubber hose in place to reseal the thottle housing,
using my favorite glue "Goop" of course
but also had to do considerable grinding to the lever rod area for brake lever interference....

11sp7xz.jpg

i didn't cut the lid, as it cleared, but still needed to be sealed off.
small pice of rubber hose, then filled the void with "Goop"
the gasket isn't gonna work for that cut out area, but some rtv will.....

2vcaich.jpg

end result is a little better, notice the lever isn't sticking up at that ridiculous angle anymore as in the first pic...............

be97a9.jpg

the new trail tech "X" bars extra 1/2" will help more,
and that terry cable billet throttle (mmmm billet) is lookin better and better for my next purchase

Last edited:
Reactions: slickerthanyou