03 Yamaha Blaster YFS200 PROJECT questions

NEONNIGHT34609

Dec 19, 2010
FLORIDA
make a long story short i bought an 03 blaster as a project. engine was/is locked up. here is the thread about my find.

http://www.blasterforum.com/introductions-8/03-yamaha-blaster-yfs200-newbie-34518/

i finally pulled the head off and found this (pics below) now i pretty sure i will have to split the case ? reason i am asking that is because it looks like the " thrust" washer is missing off one side of the rod. i can see i am gonna need a piston but the cylinder does not look that bad. remember i am a newbie to quads but i am a diesel mechanic by trade. if i am way off please steer me in the right direction. thanks I:I

BLAST010.jpg

BLAST008.jpg

BLAST015.jpg

BLAST016.jpg

you have to split them cases and disassemble everything to do it, everything !!!!
your on the right track, doin all this yourself ?????
if you need help, crank rebuilt , or awsome work done to it, just click the
ken oconnor racing link at the bottom of my sig

i was planing on doing it all myself but what does it take to remove the rod off the crank ? i dont wanna go nuts with the bike since i have never heard it run and dont wanna get in too far. i have 300 into it right now and am ok with using used parts to just get it going till i know what i have.

That piston is for sure a Vito's piston. I have a 240 Big Bore with a Vito's piston and its the exact same. With a aftermarket piston, I believe its safe to assume that the piston isn't the only aftermarket job on it. Check the cylinder diameter to see the bore with a caliper. Its a whole lot easier to buy parts when you know what the size is obviously. The crank, when separate from the case, can be split somehow. I've personally never needed to go that deep but it shouldn't be too bad. And dont worry about the clutch and stuff its super easy. I'd help some more but that's about all I can think of for now. Oh and I agree with super noober on the last thread about the pics of them cans. Lol

i was planing on doing it all myself but what does it take to remove the rod off the crank ? i dont wanna go nuts with the bike since i have never heard it run and dont wanna get in too far. i have 300 into it right now and am ok with using used parts to just get it going till i know what i have.

I would send it to ken oconnor and get him to do a crankshaft rebuild for $120. You would have to make sure the crankshaft is balanced when its back together if you did it yourself. Crankshaft rebuilds This link shows you how the crank is put together and what he does for the $120.

been in touch with him already great guy with fast e-mails. i was going to have him do my total rebuild but because i dont have deep pockets right now and bought it as a project to learn with i think i am going to split the case myself and send him my crank. i THOUGHT i had a lead on a local lower end but the guy wants to sell all his parts together. the plan right now is to have him to my crank. i did get the engine out and will post pics here in a few. its not split yet but will be by the end of the week i am hoping. I:I
I would send it to ken oconnor and get him to do a crankshaft rebuild for $120. You would have to make sure the crankshaft is balanced when its back together if you did it yourself. Crankshaft rebuilds This link shows you how the crank is put together and what he does for the $120.

lots of pics
right off the trailer bought it locked up and was hopping for an easy fix
BLAST001.jpg

i should have known better
BLAST003.jpg

oil injection capped off ?
BLAST020.jpg

missing thrust washer
BLAST019.jpg

closer look
BLAST008.jpg

a little JB weld ?