03 blaster won't start???

invisible4good

Aug 5, 2010
nh
got an 03 yamaha blaster all stock. has great spark, but i noticed it only sparks at the beginning of each kick. has compression, good reeds, is getting gas as spark plug is wet after kicking over for awhile. any ideas??? would like to get this thing up and running. oh, and carb is spotless, so is air filter. every so often (very rarely) it will slightly cough as if it attempted to start for a split second.

yes it has compression. have not checked actual PSI, but when you take out the spark plug its WAY easier to turn over. doesnt the TORS completely take away spark if its dysfunctional?

remove tors ! also sound like its flooding itself! turn the fuel off and kick like fu*k until it starts 2 kick ! are you giving throttle while kicking it? if so pull the choke out and just keep kicking it (with no throttle!) good luck and report back!

ok so i checked it out and i was wrong it has spark every revolution. a strong spark too. STILL REFUSES to start! has very little crank case oil.... could that be affecting ANYTHING??

Last edited:
Crankcase oil is just for the transmission/clutch, so not your prob. (check level at sight glass and fill though) If you are truly low, you might consider a right side crank seal in the future, you are sucking oil. This shouldn't be your prob with starting tho.

You have fuel, spark, and compression. Sounds like you need to look at timing. It is possible that you have sheared a flyweel key. The only way to check that is to get a flywheel puller and remove it. Did this problem happen suddenly?

i have not checked timing and yes it just suddenly stopped running, now only getting a puff here and there after about 20-30 kicks. another thing i might try is taking the plug off, holding my finger over the \hole and check if there is a spark every time i feel the air compress against my finger. the CDI and stator plate are responsible for timing right?

Hmmmm. That key is sounding more likely. The suddenness is a giveaway. Take off your your left side cover and see if the nut came loose. If it did, you have a guaranteed sheared key. With the flywheel spinning freely the spark can come anytime or not at all. Even with a tight nut the key can shear and the heavy flywheel can turn a bit and throw the timing off to the point where it comes at the wrong time.

The pulse coil on the stator is responsible for timing but will give the pulse at the wrong time if the flywheel has moved.

ok just checked. timing is dead on. i noticed after kicking it over about 10 times and checking the plug its perfectly dry, even though it was choked the whole time. probably compression issue? would just new piston rings suffice?

You checked the timing with your finger? I doubt that was very accurate, lol.

But you are changing the story now. You said before that the plug was wet before, and now it isn't? That could be cuz you aren't building up a good vacuum with just your finger. I think you need to back up and do the basics. Read AWK's general troubleshooting guide that is stickied at the beginning of the Engine section. Then do this:

1) You need to check the compression with a compression tester. About $20 at an auto parts store for a cheap one. Hold the throttke open and kick until the needle stops rising.

2) You need to check for spark. Should be nice and solid with multiple sparks per kick.

3)You need to check for fuel. The plug should get wet after several kicks if it is getting fuel but not burning it. Clean the plug with carb cleaner and let dry before trying this and you will have a better idea.

4) Buy a flywheel puller to check the key for timing, $15 at your local motorcylcle shop. eBay or rockymountainatvmc.com if you can't find one locally.

5) Check the reeds, take the cage out and look at them. Any damage?

Most of all DON'T ASSUME that anything is good. Some of this stuff you may have checked already but it sounds like you are starting to go in circles and it is impossible to get from A to Z that way. Check anyway.

sorry bout the changing stories. i realized after i made that post my friend had put a little gas down the plug hole. yes i am positive it has a strong spark but will i will go through the other tests

simple !, find a hill roll down it pop it in 1st and kick start it at the same time!!!! might work always works for me if she dont start

sorry bout the changing stories. i realized after i made that post my friend had put a little gas down the plug hole. yes i am positive it has a strong spark but will i will go through the other tests

Sounds good. If you don't find fuel like you said before, then it is time to start looking deeper into the fuel system. Seriously, read that troublshooting guide, there is some good stuff there.

ok i read it up. it should be helpful as a start.... but another problem with the blaster is the guy i bought it from got it in a trade when it ran and drove great. suddenly it stopped running for him, so he took apart the clutch hoping he could find the porblem but when he put it together when he pulled the clutch lever it was WAY to easy, but it sprung back any ideas?