02 raptor slips into nuetral from 1st and 2nd

Question for any raptor owners, or general ATV tranny experiences.

I am thinking about buying an 02 raptor that is supposed to have big bore kit, alba pipe, cam, jetted, nerfs for $1800 obo, but it has a problem of slipping out of gear into neutral. What could that be? I searched without any luck yet, will search some more. He said usually just 1st and 2nd, if you get past that, it should be fine. Any Ideas at all? Tranny screwed? Something need adjusted? ????

Thanks in advance.

sounds like he didn't use the clutch much for getting from 1st to 2nd and that wore the tranny down in just that section and since its so loose btwn those gears it will slip into neutral (which isn't a real gar) and he couldn't really have possibly worn out neutral..

wait, i thought of something. is it a raptor 660? if so get the vin number IN PERSON, dont not let him read it off to you. like right it down yourself, look it up or ask a yammy dealer what year the numbers equal too and if hes lieing and its an 01, dont get it.

also just heard about the tranny problems. supposebly its a issue with 4th and 5th and the reverse geting mangled because some engineers decided to rush sh*t.

Well, I went to check it out, verified it as an 02 from the VIN. The plastics are a little rough, but it was only second gear that was slipping out, and you could get to reverse without using the aftermarket handlebar mounted lever, BAD!

Besides that, she ran hard, and popped up the front end real easy, all I had to ride it on was a gravel road, and it was squirly through all the gears. My neighbor friend ended up knowing the guy, and he is mechanically challenged...lol...His friend from our tech school here did the motor work, and instead of a big bore (could be still, but ?), I believe it to be an ALBA stage 2 kit (piston dont know what size), and cam, and also pipe.

He seemed like an honest guy, and my friend knew him, and if the kit is not in there, oh well, she still goes like hell (fast enough to spook my buddy when he rode it!)

I talked him to $1250, because of the issue, he is moving and going to school, and has bills to be paid, he needed the money. I thought it was a good deal. If all else fails, I can part it out for that!

When I got home, I fixed the Reverse issue, the lever on the motor was loose on the shaft, and the bolt was loose, put it back on, tightened, and that was fixed. Works only when reverse lever is used.

Now for the tranny, If I have to split it, so be it (i think it might just be second is worn out), but im going to take the cover off first and inspect the shift shaft, springs, etc and see if its all ok.

I am busy till sunday night or monday, so I cant inspect further, but then the side cover is coming off, and if nothing there, then removal and splitting the motor.

IMAGE_053.jpg

IMAGE_054.jpg

IMAGE_055.jpg

IMAGE_056.jpg

EZ that looks tight!

good choice on geting it. you can always fix the tranny problem with a bit of work. maybe even take it to a yamaha dealer and ask what it could be, or even just phone them tell em its slipping from 2nd gear into neutral, wtfs wrong. and it might be common and they might know or maybe not. still a good deal dude.

man thats a nice looking bike. my cousin just got a 02 also, with DG pipe, cam, big bore and the kid was moving and needed it gone fast, he got it for 1500!!!

your deal was still really good though.. good luck with it =D

I had that exact same pipe on my 01 Raptor... But mine had a Supertrapp on it... Ouch it made my ears bleed ! !

Sounds like an awesome deal on that quad... I just sold mine last spring for $3500, but it ran perfectly, was pretty decked out, and had no tranny issues...

Nice grab !