01 Blaster could not get old carb to work (Mikuni 26)

FXSTSHDRIDER

Feb 13, 2018
so I had a new Mikuni 32 from a friend and put it in with the same idle jet (idles well) and put the same main jet back in and when I hit the throttle it picks up immediately but then acts like it is out of gas. What size jet should I try? I read on here that some went with a smaller jet than a 280 and it worked. My concern is scorching the piston with not enough gas. I am new to this type stuff so go easy on me, please...

WELCOME !!

What other mods do you have? Did you set the float level?
Carb NEVER used? If it was , clean it first, including emulsion tube/main jet holder. Using a cup or something check fuel flow from tank. What notch is needle on ? Might try using Blaster needle. What did this carb come off of?

Only change one thing at a time. If not better or no change, put back as it was, try something else.

When you say it sounds like running out of gas, does it blubber or does it sound flat ,WAAAAaaa ?

New carb with needle on leanest level and it flat out waaaaaa's at half throttle then once I let loose it comes back to idle. And, thanks for the welcome. I almost ordered a 310 jet today but figured I would get some info from those who know more before purchase.

WELCOME !!

What other mods do you have? Did you set the float level?
Carb NEVER used? If it was , clean it first, including emulsion tube/main jet holder. Using a cup or something check fuel flow from tank. What notch is needle on ? Might try using Blaster needle. What did this carb come off of?

Only change one thing at a time. If not better or no change, put back as it was, try something else.

When you say it sounds like running out of gas, does it blubber or does it sound flat ,WAAAAaaa ?

I got a deal on the quad and it came with what appears to be an after market pipe. After I get it running well I need to find some rear breaks (brake pedal, cable and caliper/pads). I read up on and watched a plug chop video and that part makes good sense. Just looking for more info before buying a bunch of different jets.

New carb with needle on leanest level and it flat out WAAAAaaa. I almost ordered a 310 jet today /QUOTE]
That's what I call flat, lean condition. Comparison needle you have now to one in original carb. If og is thinner use it. Either way set clip to !iddle notch.

I got a deal on the quad and it came with what appears to be an after market pipe. After I get it running well I need to find some rear breaks (brake pedal, cable and caliper/pads). I read up on and watched a plug chop video and that part makes good sense. Just looking for more info before buying a bunch of different jets.

Good that you understand what plug chop is, do it. See if pipe has any markings. What do you have for air filter setup ? What is your elevation and temperature ??
When tuning best to change one thing at a time, check results.
More than likely you'll still need a selection of Jets to go from winter to summer. Basically have to go one size for every 20* of change.

With more information we can get you closer.
As speedy mentioned a compression test is a good idea.
See what pilot jet you have and how many turns on air screw from LIGHTLY seated.

Also if you have a preference 2003 unplug the TORS Brain, 3 wire plug under hood. It should be unplugged if you have anything other than stock carb. If 2003-2006 search the forum for how to do it, have to cut one wire IIRC.

Although I have no clue how to post a pic, everyone loves pics :cool::D

Reactions: FXSTSHDRIDER
have you checked the compression on top end?
can you rev it fully sitting still?
airscrew setting?
Revs good sitting still. But add a load and it tanks. Have not checked compression, but it ran ok through the gears with the other carb. The older carb had issues with sticking and there was the 32 that was just sitting so I wanted to try it out for a good performance mod.

Augusta. Ga about 500' and I have a K&N air filter without a box top. I did read up on changing jets for different temperatures actually the video was very informative. I ordered two sets of jets 200-290 and 300-390 so when they come in I will start testing. I guess I will start with the 300 or 310 and go from there unless you guys can throw out a suggestion.

OK men.... Removed the TORS , upped the main jet a few times in increments. Started with the 230 stock for the larger sized carb and then went to the 260 and it got better then again to a 280 with better pickup with less a lot less waaaaaa. There is an after market pipe, K&N filter with no box top and I suspect from reading the VITO's big bore kit was added, but need to verify by fins for the newer head which does not appear to be or seeking another way to determine. I also thought about the floats not being set correctly so I measured and guess what some adjustments were needed. And, this also helped a little, but still not "right". I have jets left to try.. the 290-320 and feel good about that. But before I change anything else I want to put a hotter plug in other than the stock NKG - BR8ES. Any comments on a hotter plug or stay stock?